Is this hypothesis is true that my mentalis muscle be large and hyperactive during the years that i had lips incompetence?

4 years ago I had genioplasty and Now i have still a wrinkle on my chin. Is this hypothesis is true that my mentalis muscle be large and hyperactive during the years that i had lips Incompetence ? Does Botox treatment is appropriate for my mentalis muscle to become thin In the future after several periods injection? (sorry i don't know English too well)

Botox for mentalis

Thank you for your question Nasrin. I am not sure about mentalis hyperactivity with lip incompetence. Botox cosmetic is used to address certain wrinkles on the face. It can be used in the lower face in areas such as the chin (mentalis muscle) to smoothen out dimpling that some people see. Most people see results in three to seven days after their Botox treatment and enjoy their results for three to four months. Good luck!

Encino Physician

Botox For Chin Wrinkles

Botox properly injected into the chin will paralyze the mentalis muscles. This should reduce the appearance of the wrinkle due to decreased muscle action. The effect will last anywhere from 3-6 months. If this solution works for you, you'll have to repeat this approximately every 3-6 months. Eventually, as the mentalis muscles atrophy, your injections may become less frequent. 

And no need to apologize for your English - you related your concerns in a way that was understandable!

Millicent Odunze-Geers, MD, MPH
Sacramento Physician

The mentalis

Try botox to see if your mentalis reduces in size. If you are happy with the result, then continue treatment every 4-6 months. If you don't see a change or you don't love the change, then do not repeat treatment. Botox is reversible so you have done no lasting harm by giving it a shot.

Best of luck.

Benjamin C. Paul, MD

Mentalis and Botox

I am not certain I understood everything but Botox will help the appearance of your mentalis muscle. it can make it smaller and will last about 4 months

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist