Is deviated septum surgery painful?

Septoplasty

I have had it myself twice and I can tell you that it was very tolerable. The hardest part was the packing. So, based on my own experience as a patient I try not to put packing in the nose. RegardsDr. J

Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal surgery and pain

Typically, septoplasty or rhinoplasty are not that painful post-operatively.  If packing is used, it is removed most often in the recovery room prior to you going home.  Most patients feel as if they have had a bad head cold.

Jeffrey Joseph, MD, FACS
Lafayette Facial Plastic Surgeon

Pain

No it is not, I do not use packing or splints so there is nothing to remove after - which is the annoying part. But there is very little pain after septal or rhinoplastic surgery. 

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Deviated septum surgery

Thanks for your question. Most of the time, pain from septoplasty surgery isn't a big deal. Sometimes surgeons will use packing or intranasal splints that can hurt, but it largely depends on the surgeon. In my practice, I will use intranasal splints a couple of times a year at most. Check out my blog about septoplasties. There's also a review by someone whose septum I fixed; feel free to check that out as well. Good luck!

Robert S. Schmidt, MD
College Station Facial Plastic Surgeon