What cleanser, moisturizer, sunscreen, serum, and makeup do you recommend after Halo?

I was recommended a few makeups by my laser therapist, and my doc's office gave me a cleanser, thick moisturizer for afterward (she also approved my Cerave to start a week after the treatment), and sunscreen. I'd like to know other's opinions just for curiosity. And when do you recommend starting retinol again? I use the 0.05%. Thank you!

Halo Post Care

Thank you for your question.  Less is more with Halo post care, as the skin is in a fragile state following a treatment.  We recommend a very gentle cleanser (Cerave or Cetaphil), a heavy moisturizer, and an SPF with a physical block.  We use the Neocutis line immediately post procedure to help speed up healing time, but Cetaphil would work as well.  We also provide the patient with Cicalfate balm to use during those days where skin is the most dry before beginning to peel.  We advise patients to wait at least 2 weeks, sometimes up to 4 weeks, to begin using Retin-A again.  The length of time is dependent on how quickly the skin recovers and is no longer sensitive. I hope that helps!

Seattle Physician

Post Halo Laser Care

Since Halo is a Fractionated Hybrid Laser it is recommended to avoid use of abrasive cleansers and creams post treatment. I recommend using a gentle cleanser such as Cetaphil with lukewarm water. I also recommend using Elta MD Moisturizer up to 48 hours post treatment and apply as needed. After 48 hours you may use Teoxane Repair Balm or Neocutis Biocream to promote healing up to 7 days. Sunscreen is a must and should be used daily for up to 3 months post Halo. Make up can be worn the day after treatment. Oxygenetix is a cover up foundation that can be used post procedure, this can be found in physician offices. Please contact your physician for instructions on how they care for skin post Halo treatment.

Barbara Bopp, MD
New Orleans Dermatologic Surgeon

Halo Post Care

Hello and thank you for your question. The after care for Halo should include gentle cleansers that will not dry out your skin, such as Cerave or Cetaphil lotion cleanser. It should also include a moisturizers, the kind of moisturizer depends on the type of skin you have. If you are acne prone then I would recommend a light moisturizer. Here at Refined Dermatology we also encourage patients to begin using a growth factor after their skin has healed, usually 7-10 days after the treatment. Some growth factors we recommend include Regenica or Defenage. Most patients are back to using their regular products, such as Retin-A, 2 weeks after their procedure. Hope this helps, Dr. S. 

Steven Swengel, MD
Los Gatos Dermatologic Surgeon

Halo Aftercare

Cetaphil has a gentle cleanser and moisturizer you can use after Halo. Retin A can be used 2 weeks after Halo. It's really up to how your skin feels. Some patients feel like their skin is very fragile so take the time you need. Apply the Retin A every 3 days and work your way up to every day.

Robert G. Aycock, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon