Is crepitus 4 weeks after breast augmentation normal?

I had 450cc HP natrelle implants placed under the muscle 4 weeks ago, I have had an uneventful post-operative period but I continue to have crepitus in my left breast when I move the implant around ( I have noticed it since the beginning of my recovery). I went from a 34 B to a D cup and I had previously breastfed 3 children, the implants suit my frame appropriately, and are settling and softening nicely. Is the crepitus normal and will it go away or am I likely to have issues with this breast?

Not uncommon

What you are describing is not uncommon and can sometimes continue into the second month of your recovery. However, I would definitely advise you to discuss your concerns with your surgeon. Best, Dr. Nazarian

1 month post op

What you report is not uncommon and is related to a small amount of air/fluid moving around the implant. This is typically absorbed by 4 weeks post op but can persist in one or both breasts up to 2 months. I recommend that you ask your Plastic Suirgeon to see you in person if you have any concerns.

All th ebest

Crepitus after implant surgery

Sometimes the crepitus sound of saline implants can persist for a while into the second month.  Be sure to discuss with your own surgeon about how this applies to you, and whether they have any special concerns in your case.

Crepitus after augmentation

There are some pretty amazing sounds that can come out of your breast area following augmentation, aren't there?  Squeaking, sloshing, crackling etc...

These are caused by either air or fluid or early rubbing of the implant and capsule with some fluid still in the pocket.

These will resolve...if you still have issues after 8 weeks or so I would see your plastic surgeon,

Best!

Dr B

Bradley Bengtson, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Late Crepitus

Your question needs a little differentiation. Typically, crepitus referres to the popping sensation which occurs with air being under the tissues. It feels like a crunching sensation, like crushing cereal with milk. This is not uncommon but typically resolves quickly, within days. You may be feeling fluid around the implant with the sensation of something sloshing around space. This may represent an early seroma. This is often the body's reaction to the movement of the implant across the tissue plane. It produces a natural lubricant, not unlike what you get in a joint space. This could be the result of muscle pushing the implant with arm movement. Check with your surgeon. Typically, the sensation resolves, sometimes with some antiinflammatory drugs. But remember, your doctor has to be aware of what's happening. Anything that I say without examining you might be interesting, but it's not definative.

Peter D. Geldner, MD

I appreciate your question.

Crepitus at 4 weeks post op isn't typical.  However, since everyone heals at different rates I would recommend following up with your surgeon so he/she can examine you and for any questions/concerns.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Crepitus after Augmentation

It's not uncommon to have some crepitus.  Typically the crepitus resolves fairly quickly so having crepitus at 4 weeks post op isn't typical.  However, it does sound as though you are having a speedy and uneventful recovery.  Your surgeon would be the best to examine you and reassure you if the crepitus represents cause for concern, although it is most likely something that will resolve in time.  Be sure to share your concerns with your surgeon.  Best wishes.

Levi J. Young, MD
Overland Park Plastic Surgeon

Crepitus after augmentation

Although this is longer than normal, it sounds like everything is going well and I believe that time will solve this problem for you.  Your body should absorb the air that is around your implant but this is a very human business and people are distinctly different in how fast they do this.  As long as they look good to you I would not worry about this and even give it up to 4 months for complete resolution.

David Janssen, MD, FACS
Oshkosh Plastic Surgeon

Crepitus after breast augmentation

In my experience, crepitus which comes from the mixture of water with air in and around the breast pocket, usually resolves itself within the first week or two. Having said that, I don't think there's any risk and having it take a little longer to resolve. Discuss this with your operating surgeon. Good luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

The persistence of crepitus four weeks after breast augmentation is definitely longer than  average. Your plastic surgeon will be in the best position to provide you with an accurate assessment and/or meaningful reassurance. If the situation is typical crepitus, it will not  cause long-term "issues" with your breast. Best wishes.