Why is my upper stomach sticking out after a full Tummy Tuck? It's has been 18 months and I look 7 months pregnant.

My dtr says that I would have to exercise to get rid of the upper part and I do as well as eat right- but it doesn't go away- I am tired of the pregnant comments? I can't afford another surgery!!! I am not trusting of my PS.

Upper stomach sticking out after tummy tuck

It depends on the kind of tummy tuck and the cause of the swelling. Photos will help but an exam is essential. If you are unhappy with your surgeon, take copies of your operative note and pre-op photos to a second opinion with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

I'm sorry that you are unhappy with your results.  As the others have said, photos are needed to comment on your particular situation.  Until then, it would be a good idea to go see a board certified plastic surgeon for a 2nd opinion and go from there.  If you have pre-op photos you can bring to your consultation that may help.  Good luck. ac 

Angela Champion, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Why is my upper stomach sticking out after a full Tummy Tuck?

Without pictures, it is hard to determine what is going on. Seek a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area for an in person exam and second opinion. Keep your scheduled follow up appointments for your doctors advise or further options with him. Best wishes, Dean Vistnes. 

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Abdomen should be completely flat 18 months after a tummy tuck.

Without a picture it's impossible to comment but this is an issue that should be Commented on completely by your surgeon. If you to satisfy it may be time to get a second opinion.

Fullness in the upper abdomen

If the fullness was present prior to surgery, a reverse upper abdominoplasty could have addressed that issue. This procedure is not for everyone. It is ideal for women with somewhat full breasts so the incisions can be hidden in the natural crease of the breasts where the scars will not be visible when standing.  

I typically perform this procedure in conjunction with a mini-lower abdominoplasty when I feel it is the best choice for my patient. But, it can be performed alone, if a patient has received a traditional abdominoplasty elsewhere and still has concerns about the upper abdomen. 

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Upper abdominal fullness after an abdominoplasty

There are three factors which may cause continued swelling of the upper abdomen after an abdominoplasty.  These include 
  1. Recurrent laxity or incomplete correction of the anterior abdominal fascia
  2. Incompletely treated excess fat of the upper abdomen or weight gain post op
  3. Intra-abdominal or visceral fat

Upper Abdominal Fullness after Tummy Tuck

Due to the fat distribution of some patients and the thickness of their subcutaneous fat layer, tummy tuck surgery will leave the upper abdomen more protrusive than the lower where the tissues were cut out. This 'barrel' shape to the abdomen is often initially mistaken for swelling when it is due to fat either below the skin or behind the abdominal muscle around the organs. Weight loss and liposuction are the only known effective treatments.

Abdominal Contour Concerns.

Thank you for your question. To answer more definitively, photos would be helpful.  Causes of residual abdominal fullness and contour issues after a tummy tuck include: residual intra-abdominal fat, residual upper adominal subcutaneous fat, incomplete plication, and failure of the plication suture.  Most of these issues are usually predictable or preventable and should be discussed before surgery.   Discuss this matter further with your surgeon.  Best wishes on your recovery.

Round tummy after abdominoplasty

If you have roundness to your abdomen and after abdominal plasty then he could be due to one of several things. The first would be increased thickness of skin due to fat. Second could be failure or loosening of your muscle tightening. The third and final could be due to internal fat. The first two are treatable with revisionary procedures and the last one can be improved The healthy lifestyle and exercise

Upper fullness

There are a  number of components. Upper fat excess, weakness of the abdo wall in the upper portion and then the intrabdominal fullness that include fat ad intra abdominal contents. If your issues are due to intra-abdominal fullness then this cannot be addressed. Usually the upper portion of the abdo wall is strengthened during the initial op and it would be unusual to reopen things to improve this area. The most common issue is excess fat in the upper region which can be liposucted. Often one is unable to remove all the fat one wants during the initial surgery as it would decrease the blood supply to the rest of the abdo during the initial surgery and performing liposuction on this area at a second stage is not an unusual occurrence.

Gary L. Ross, MBChB, FRCS
Manchester Plastic Surgeon