How long does total face swelling last after a Halo treatment?

The swelling on my face seems pretty intense!

Swelling duration post Halo treatment

Thank you for your question about the duration of swelling post Halo treatment.

Swelling is an expected side effect after a Halo treatment. Different factors can affect the amount and duration of swelling you can expect.  On of the factors is the intensity of the treatment, including how many microns deep and the percent of surface area of the treatment.  Another factor is the presence or absence of any HA dermal fillers.  Because HA fillers area hydrophilic (they hold on to water), your swelling may be a little more intense, and may last longer than someone who does not have HA fillers.  Often pretreatment with steroids by your provider can reduce the swelling and duration of swelling.  Sleeping with your head elevated may also reduce the swelling and duration.   All in all, you can expect swelling of the face and area around the eyes to last around 3-5 days. 

To be sure, see two or more experienced, licensed and board-certified providers in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have treatment.

Halo Laser Treatment

Thanks for your question. I had the Level 2 Halo treatment done myself just about 10 days ago. I love it! I plan to post video/photos soon on our site. My experience was that I had swelling for about 24hrs, then it began to subside. I did it on a Thursday evening, and still had a bit of swelling on Monday morning. The flaking started on Sunday and was much better by 7 days total. I used a lightly-tinted sunscreen. Now, at day 10, I can see dramatic improvements. Best wishes.

Paul J. Leahy, MD
Leawood Plastic Surgeon

Downtime is 5-6 Days

The swelling after Halo Laser is at its worst on the second and third day and goes down quickly after that. I routinely use one tablet of 50 mg Benadryl on the day of the procedure as well as Prednisone for three days to minimize the swelling. The results are well worth it.

Ahmet R. Karaca, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Usually only a day or 2

Thanks for the great question, I get this one a a lot! By now your swelling should be pretty much gone. Most patients wake up the next morning after treatment and are shocked by how swollen they are! The swelling depends both on the density of the treatment and your body's natural response to the laser. The swelling is also worse after sleeping with your head at the same level as your heart. As you get up and walk around the day after treatment, most of the swelling should subside. Some doctors prescribe steroids to reduce the swelling, but in my opinion this is unnecessary. Best of luck and I hope you love your results!

~Dr. Sieber

David A. Sieber, MD
Bay Area General Surgeon