MRSA and Halo treatment.

I had a mole removed in June on my bra line. It became infected and tested positive with MRSA. It cleared up with antibody . I want to have HALO treatment in December. Am I risking getting MRSA again since my skin will peel? Will I always be a carrier and should be worried about every scratch and cut? Thanks

Shouldn't be a problem

Thanks for the great question. Just because you have a history of a past infection should not increase your chances of having a bacterial infection after treatment. The one thing you DO need to be careful of is if you have a history of oral herpes. Halo treatment can cause a herpes break out and all patients regardless of history should be treated with some sort of anti-viral prior to treatment. I hope this helps and good luck with your Halo treatment!

~Dr. Sieber

History of MRSA and future treatment

If you were adequately treated for the MRSA and completed the course of antibiotics prescribed for you, you should have no problems with future treatments.  In Halo by Sciton, your skin is open for less than 24 hours and is not compromised as in a typical "peel".  Discuss your concerns with your Halo provider.  They should give you a 5-7 day course of Valtrex since herpes is more possible (although unlikely) possibility as heat is applied to the face.  Many in the United States are carriers of MRSA and that number is rising, particularly if you are in the medical field but most do not become infected after procedures, especially those in areas with good blood supply and using lasers.  Best of luck.  Just a note, I have had multiple Halo's myself without any problem, after having had a MRSA infection in the past.  Talk to your doctor. :) Shelby Bentz MD

Shelby Bentz, MD
Bakersfield Physician