Juvederm Bruising

I had restaylne in the past and it really bruised. the bruises lasted over 3 weeks!! is juvederm similar in that I will get bruising from the injection?

Juvederm, Restylane, and Bruising - Treatment with Plato's Bruise Balm

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Bruising is one of the more common complications of injectable fillers. The bruising is not directly caused by the type of filler, but rather, by the size of the needle used to inject the filler, the amount of tissue trauma during injection, trauma to the arteries and veins around the injection site, and the patient's propensity to bleed.
Common causes of bleeding and bruising are a family history of bleeding disorders, ingestion of aspirin, ibuprofen, coumadin, or other herbal medications that may thin out the blood and impair proper coagulation of .
Prior to your next injection, make sure to avoid taking aspirin, ibuprofen, or other blood thinners for three weeks. Also, make sure to place compression with or without ice packs immediately after surgery. I would begin use of Plato's Medicinals Bruise Balm to minimize the onset and duration of a bruise. 

Unfortunately, any time you get injections under the...

Unfortunately, any time you get injections under the skin you have the possibility of bruising. By inserting a needle under the skin, small blood vessels can be broken, which cause bruising.

In my practice, I've taken to mixing lidocaine with epinephrine into the Juvederm and have found that this reduces the amount of bruising which occurs with patients. Applying ice before and immediately after injection and making sure patients are not taking medications (over the counter and prescription) which increase bleeding also helps.

Regardless of what is done though, there is always the chance of bruising.

D.J. Verret, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Potential Brusing after Juviderm Injection

You may see bruising with any filler. Bruising is not always avoidable, it is a result of blood vessels being punctured from the injection. By inserting any needle into the skin small blood vessels can be broken. Certain medications can cause a patient to be more prone to bruising than usual. Using arnica can help with bruising.To help minimize your risk be sure to choose an experienced doctor, more specifically a board certified plastic surgeon.

"Dr.D"

Bruising is upsetting but not predictable

Here is what causes bruising with any injections:

Patient uses aspirin, alka seltzer excedrin motrin ibuprofin aleive or naprosyn and doesn't tell her surgeon

Patient has natural predisposition to bruising

Even experienced injectors get a patient occasionally that bruises even when it didn't happen with prior injections

Deep injections cause bruising more than superficial ones especially when large doses are being used

I use both juvederm and restylane and rarely a patient will be bruised with both.

Believe me your surgeon or injector is just as upset when this happens as you are...

Bruising from Juvederm is much better using blunt cannulas

I know that I might sound repetitive with my answers on Realself, but using blunt cannulas has greatly reduced bruising for my clients, even in lip injections.  I find no difference with the degree of bruising with Restylane or Juvederm  In general, the more experienced the person injecting, the less bruising you will have.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Using the Zimmer chiller when injecting any filler or Botox prevents most bruising

All fillers can cause bruising and stopping your meds or stopping that wine with your meal a week ahead of time isn't going to be practical. Chilling the skin while you get the injections is the best way to prevent bruising since it constricts the tiny blood vessels and it makes the injections almost painless as well. I use the zimmer cryac unit on all Botox or filler injections, chemical or laser treatments and anytime I remove barnicles or skin tags as well. Arnica gel or pills is also helpful.

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Minimize bruising after filler

With any filler you can get bruising. I see more bruising typically with hyaluronic fillers such as Juvederm and Restylane, but they are still great products for volume restoration. I think we see the least bruising with Sculptra. To minimize bruising, we recommend avoiding aspirin, advil etc for 7-10 days before. Also arnica supplements have been helpful for some people as have creams containing Vitamin K and/or arnica - such as Biopelle Auriderm post op recovery gel and arnica tablets. We also use ice during and after the procedure to keep bruising to a minimum.

When bruising does occur, the Vbeam pulsed dye laser has been shown to speed resolution of the bruising. The laser treatment is done 24-48 hours after the procedure and has no downtime.

Injector skill

The bruising from Juvederm and Restylane would be about the same based on the injector.   Make sure that the person injecting the Juvederm is a board certified plastic surgeon. Nurse injectors just do not have enough skill, training, education, or expertise to inject fillers.

Bruising with fillers

3 weeks is a bit long for bruising after your treatment. Unfortunately both products Juvederm and Restylane cause bruising. They are both Hyaluronics and there is something in the product that makes you bruise. The good news is that they last a long time for the patient. There are some things you can do to decrease your chance of bruising. you want to avoid Aspirin, anti-inflamatories (such as Motrin and Alleve), vitamin E and some herbals for 10 days prior to your treament.. Applying ice afterwards helps a little. also arnica cream and/or pills help for some patients.

If a patient really can't have bruising I offer Sculptra or Artefill if they are treating areas compatible with these products. I find these 2 products don't bruise much in most patients. Of course, you can't use these products in or around the lips but they work well for the nasolabial and marionette lines..

Bruising with Dermal Fillers

One of the most common side effects of all dermal fillers, including Juvederm, is the risk of bruising.  This risk is increased when patients are on blood thinning medications such as Aspirin or Coumadin.  Skilled injectors with a good knowledge of anatomy are less likely to cause bruising, but unfortunately patients anatomy can vary and sometimes it is unavoidable.  The bruising usually only lasts 7-10 days with the results of the Juvederm lasting long after.   I hope this helps.

Best wishes

Neil J Zemmel, MD