Do I need to stop taking any of these before lip injections with juvederm? (Photos)

I take these medicines daily..are they okay to take before lip injections or would they increase chances of bruising or swelling?i heard you shouldn't take some medicines a week before

Juvederm injections for lips

The medicines you're taking ( Ranitidine, Loratadine and the inhaler) have no effect on the lip injection procedure. The medicines to avoid are those that increase the risk of bleeding and bruising. These include Aspirin, Aspirin-containing products (such a Anacin, Excedrin and Alka Selzer), Advil, Aleve, Plavix, Eliquis, Coumadin, etc. If you have a history of cold sores on your lips, it would be advisable to take an antiviral medication such as Valtrex or Famvir to prevent the appearance of cold sores after your treatment. Good luck with your treatment.

Cleveland Dermatologic Surgeon

Prior to lip injections with Juvederm

The only medications you should not take prior to lip injections are blood thinners such as Aspirin, Warfarin, or Coumadin. If you are on these medications regularly, check with your primary physician or hematologist to make sure you are medically cleared to hold these meds. The reason for not taking any blood thinners prior to your lip injections is due to the increased risk of bleeding and bruising. Otherwise, the medications you are currently on are fine to take up until your procedure.

Justin Harper, MD
Columbus Physician

Medications to stop before Lip augmentation with Juvederm Ultra XC or Juvederm Ultra plus XC

The medications you are taking ( Pro Air, Ranitidine, Loratadine) should not interfere with lip augmentation with Juvederm.  We recommend holding use of blood thinning medications like Aspirin, Ibuprofen and Omega 3's (Fish Oil) and Glucosamine Chondroitin as well as Alcohol to minimize bruising.

Ritu Malhotra, MD
Cleveland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lip Augmentation with Fillers or Lip Implant or Fat -- Go Slow, Use Cannulas

I suggest speaking to your physician, any medications that thin blood can cause swelling/bruising.  These do not look like they contribute.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Juvederm and Medications

All three medications are absolutely safe to continue taking before your Juvederm injection. None of them will interfere with the injection process or the Juvederm itself.

Swelling And Bruise Prevention Prior To A Planned Injectable Procedure

Thank you for your excellent question and for sharing your photographs.  Based on your photographs, albuterol, ranitidine and loratidine will not affect your risk for postprocedure bruising and swelling.  Please continue to take these medications as directed.  Also, please keep in mind that swelling and bruising is considered normal after Juvederm injection, especially in the lips.  Icing is beneficial for up to 48 hours after the procedure.  Arnica is also helpful for minimizing normal postprocedure swelling and bruising.  I would suggest that you plan on allowing for two weeks after your procedure for normal postprocedure swelling and bruising to resolve before judging your final result.  As far as bruise prevention, I would recommend that you avoid all aspirins, NSAIDS (Motrin, Alleve, etc.) and fish oils for at least one week prior to your planned procedure.  Tylenol will not affect your bruising risk and is ok to take.  Lastly, please be sure to see an expert injector for an in-person consultation to answer all your questions, fully address your concerns and discuss your goals and expectations with regard to your lips in order to determine the best treatment plan.  Beautiful and natural results can be achieved by using Juvederm for lip augmentation.  Hope this helps and best wishes!

Do I need to stop taking any of these before lip injections with juvederm?

All of those medications pictured are completely fine to continue taking while preparing for having Juvederm injected into your lips. You will want to avoid any type of aspirin or ibuprofen and any other supplements of pain relievers that may have blood thinning characteristics in order to reduce your chances of bruising. 

Lawrence Bundrick, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm and Stopping Medications

Thanks for your question!  I applaud you for being so prepared!  There is no need to stop any of those medications pictured.  Best of luck and enjoy those new pouty lips!

Medications to avoid before injections

I typically provide a list of medications to avoid prior to any injection or surgical procedure. The items you show are not on that list. You want to avoid anything that can thin the blood, such as aspirin, alcohol, and fish oils. Of course, during you consultation with a plastic surgeon, your specific medications can be discussed. I wish you the best!

Arnold Almonte, DO
Roseville Plastic Surgeon

Stopping medications before Juvederm

Thank you for your question plasticsurgerymaybe. Juvederm is a filler used to enhance the face. For my patients, I recommend avoiding blood thinners such as aspirin a few days before and after an injectable treatment to minimize the risk of bruising. Albuterol, ranitidine, and loratidine are for asthma, heartburn, and allergies, respectively and do not thin the blood. I would not recommend that my patients discontinue such medications before and after an injectable treatment. Bruising can be treated with lasers. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician