How can I reduce the chances of my parents knowing I had lip injections?

I am getting a half syringe of juvederm injected by a registered nurse(she does all the injections at this plastic surgery place.) it is very important that my parents don't know I'm getting lip injections. I'm having a sleepover at my friends house that night and going back home the next day(so I'll have like 16 hours before my parents seeing me again) should I be good by then? I heard some people go out the same night as injections without anyone noticing.

Lip Injection

Unfortunately, lips are very vascular and often have significant swelling and bruising accompanying treatment with filler. Usually we tell clients that you have the risk of being bruised for about 5-7 days after. With you wanting to keep your treatment confidential, I would highly suggest icing your lips immediately after your treatment (lightly) to decrease the swelling as much as possible. I would think of a story to tell your parents regarding the bruising, as it is likely to happen.

Columbus Physician

Lip Augmentation with Fillers or Lip Implant or Fat -- Go Slow, Use Cannulas

Fillers cause bruising and swelling, try cannulas and use arnika.   But even then you may get bruising.  Makeup can be used. Best, Dr. Emer.

Lip injections

Hello! If you are a minor you should NOT do it without your parents consent (nor can you, legally). Any injectable has the potential to cause bruising and swelling. Be honest with them and respect their decisions, if you are a minor they have legal authority over medical decisions for you. Good luck!

Catherine Winslow, MD
Indianapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lip injections without parents knowing

First off, you need to 18 to consent for yourself. If younger, they will need to sign for you. All injections can come with the risk of bruising and swelling. If you take arnica, elevate your head on 2-3 pillows, and don't do any strenuous activity until the next day, you probably will be ok. Ice might help as well if there is bruising but I don't routinely recommend it. Silk tends to swell more than the other fillers. Cannulas tend to have less bruising.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Swelling after Lip Injections

There is a risk of swelling and bruising after injectable fillers. With lips the swelling typically peaks within the first few days and the amount of swelling varies on the individual.

Leonard Lu, MD

Lip injections generally come with a large chance of bruising and swelling. These side effects vary in degree from person to person and can lasts up to a couple of weeks. 

Lawrence Bundrick, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Lip augmentation

Do not let anyone tell you that they can guarantee you will not have bruising and swelling after lip injection. This is not the reality. You could poke your lips with a needle or cannula, not inject anything, and you would still have swelling and potential for bruising. 
 The best way to guarantee they will not notice is to stay away from them after injections, utilize ice, and Arnica maybe worth a try as well. 
To ensure you are receiving the highest level of care, seek out a modernly trained, new-school dermatologic surgeon, oculoplastic surgeon, facial plastic surgeon or plastic surgeon who is board certified and fellowship trained in one of these "core four" cosmetic specialties.

Cameron Chesnut
#realself500 Physician

Cameron Chesnut, MD, FAAD, FACMS
Spokane Dermatologic Surgeon

Hiding filler treatment from parents

Dear plasticsurgerymaybe:If you are a minor you will not be able to have the treatment without parental consent.  Anyone who is not an adult should discuss such decisions with their parents in any case, or at least an adult whom they trust, to assist in all the important steps of the decision-making process. Having said that, choosing Beletero and having a very small volume injected can minimize swelling, as can the use of cold compresses and avoiding medications or supplements that tend to increase bruising. For women, any bruises can be covered with lipstick.
All the best,  Dr. Clark

Sheryl D. Clark, MD

Hiding Lip Injections From Parents!

Ay yi yi! This sounds like a case ripe for Murphy's Law. If you're not 18, you will need your parents' consent. Lip filler can indeed be done subtly, but no one can control with 100 percent certainty the amount of bruising and swelling that will follow, which is usually worst in the first 48-72 hours, but not necessarily immediately. Your parents may be more sympathetic if you share your reasons for wanting lip injections.

Millicent Odunze-Geers, MD, MPH
Sacramento Physician

Can I get fillers to my lips without anyone noticing?

I've found that when people are certain they can't bruise or have anyone find out they did something, this is inevitably the time when they WILL bruise the worst. If you really want to have a procedure done you should discuss it with your parents. Lip fillers are not a one time treatment so you can't plan to hide it forever!"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."