When can I sleep on my stomach after a mommy makeover?

I had a tummy tuck with breast lift and implants on 2/20. I'm normally a stomach sleeper... Now that I feel better, I was wondering when I can start sleeping on my stomach again? I'm scared to start side sleeping bc I know I'll roll over at some point during the night and I don't want to mess anything up by sleeping on my stomach too soon after surgery.

Sleep Position After Surgery

Thank you for your question.  At about six weeks most restrictions on position and exercise are lifted.  Trust your judgement...if it hurts, don't do it.  Best wishes on your recovery.

Sleeping on Your Back

I would follow the advice of your surgeon but I generally would not recommend that you start sleeping on your back.

Earl Stephenson, Jr, MD, DDS, FACS

Postop instructions are the responsibility of the operating surgeon after mommy makeover

I permit my patients to lay on her stomach after in abdominoplasty as soon as it is comfortable. This usually takes about 46 weeks.

Mommy Makeover- when can I sleep on my stomach

After a mommy makeover it is important to have good postoperative activity and position instruction.  In about 2 weeks patients are able to sleep on their side some, and at about 4 weeks sleeping on your stomach is allowed.  Most of the time after six weeks restrictions on position and exercise are lifted. Let your body be your guide, and if it hurts, don't do it.

Best of Luck to you

Steven M. Camp, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Sleeping on stomach after mommy makeover

I tell my patients that sleeping on their stomach is OK 4-6 weeks after a tummy tuck or breast surgery. If it is uncomfortable at all, I would wait. But you shouldn't be worried about affecting your surgical results if you have waited 4-6 weeks.

Wm. Todd Stoeckel, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Can I sleep on my stomach after a mommy makeover?

You will see that most of the doctors will recommend you to ask your plastic surgeon as he knows best what you had done, it is still early to sleep over your stomach a good time to begin is when swelling begin to fade and all scars are healed, this happens at 6-8 weeks. Good luck!

Australia Fragoso-Baez, MD

Allow at Least 6 Weeks Before Sleeping on Stomach

In the beginning stages of your recovery, it is important that you avoid sleeping on your stomach at all costs. Instead, I advise my patients to sleep on their backs with their head elevated at least in the very early stages of healing. Though it is understandable that this is not the most ideal sleeping position for you, the longer you refrain from sleeping on your stomach, the better. At the 6-week point of your recovery, most restrictions regarding the do’s and don’ts post surgery will slowly be lifted, including this sleeping restriction.

Miguel Delgado, MD