Best Skin Aftercare Following Laser Resurfacing?

Is there anything special that should be done to recover after a laser skin treatment or increase the effectiveness of the laser treatment?

Recommended Aftercare following Laser Resurfacing

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
There are many ointments and creams available to use post-laser, with the primary goal to keep the skin moist and clean. For my patients, I recommend Aquaphor after a deep laser resurfacing procedure. Usually it is used until the the skin no longer appears raw (about 5 days). This is followed by a light moisturizer (both creams and lotions are fine). After 2 weeks, I would suggest the use of a moisturizer with sunblock (of SPF 30 or above) for 3 months. Please note that the face should not be washed until 2-3 days after the procedure and only a mild, non-drying soap should be used at that time. You can then dry your skin with gentle patting (not rubbing). I hope you find this helpful. Good luck. 

Skin Care After Laser Resurfacing

As a general rule, after laser resurfacing the skin should be kept moist until healed. We use a special type of bandage for the first 24 hours called Vigilon and then after that an ointment called Aquaphor. But each doctor probably has a particular product or regimen that they prefer. By keeping the skin moist it heals twice as quickly as letting it dry out. Its an old wives' tale that you let the air get to a wound to speed healing; its just the opposite. After the skin is healed following laser resurfacing a continuing regimen utilizing a retinoid will help stimulate further collagen deposition and improve and maintain the result.

Post Laser Skin Resurfacing

It is very important to follow the aftercare protocols from your provider after laser skin resurfacing. I recommend Aquaphor to my patients because it has great healing properties for post-procedure skin. The ointment keeps the skin moist when reapplied often. After the epidermis has healed, the Aquaphor is substituted with less emollient agents. You should avoid the sun for one month.

David J. Sire, MD
Fullerton Dermatologic Surgeon

Skin care after laser resurfacing

Laser resurfacing can be done to different depths of penetration. Because of the different depth, different skin care protocols are necessary. The main goals of the skin care is to keep the skin moist and clean to help it grow healthy.

For microlaser peels, minimal post laser skin care is necessary. Usually Aquaphor or Vaseline for a few days followed by moisturizers and sunblock.

For deeper peels, the skin care changes over time.
Initially, you use Aquaphor or Vaseline only for 3 to 5 days. Vinegar and water are used to gently wash the skin.  Afterwards, we start adding moisturizers and growth factors. A gentle soap is recommended for cleaning. You want  to use sunblock as soon as possible (usually between 1 to 2 weeks after the laser).

Your doctor will explain to you the expected recovery and steps for skin care. In our office, we have a variety of skin care product we recommend for laser recovery.  We individualize the skin care for each patient's skin. We also have a medical aesthetician who is helps the patients through the recovery process.
We will also recommend specific pre-laser skin care for you.

Hope this helps
Good luck!

Myriam Loyo, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Elevase Moisture Booster

Our moisturizer of choice after laser resurfacing is the Elevase Moisture Booster that contains opti-ceramides. Ceramides can strengthen your skin's natural moisture barrier and are thus great for the skin after resurfacing laser. 

Dr. Karamanoukian 
Los Angeles

Post Laser Skin Care

Correctly caring for your skin after a laser resurfacing treatment is important in order to promote healing and prevent complications. I have my patients clean their skin twice daily with a gentle cleanser like Cetaphil and apply Aquaphor several time a day to keep the skin moist. Usually after three days they switch from Aquaphor to Cetaphil lotion. After 5-7 days, patients can put on makeup and should be diligent about using sunscreen and avoiding sun exposure.

Post-laser care

After your laser resurfacing you will apply a non-occlusive dressing to your face for the first five days to keep your face moist. You may wash with a mild cleanser. Applying cool compresses helps cool the skin and can help with the itching and/or discomfort. Your face will be red and peel for three to five days. You can apply a moisturizer and sunscreen after the fourth day. Your face will be pink, similar to a sunburn for ten to fourteen days. After seven days you may use make-up. Avoid exfoliation (Retin-A, facials, microdermabrasion) for six weeks. You may start back on Hydroquinone at two weeks.

After Laser Care

My routine after a deep laser is:

• Elta cream (a Vaseline type ointment) applied immediately after the procedure, keep reapplying as it dries out until you first get in the shower
  • Starting on day 2, the patient gets in the shower and gently washes the face (no soap) 4-6 times a day
  • Reapply the Elta cream after each shower
  • Keep this up until all the crusting, flaking and peeling is gone.  This usually takes 7-10 days following a deep Erbium treatment
  • Once the skin is not peeling anymore, you an apply a coverup makeup to hide some of the reddness
  • Moisturize with a very hypoallergenic lotion like Cetaphil
  • Keep using very mild moisturizers until the pinkness and reddness has faded (be patient as this can take weeks or even months)

John Bitner, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Best care after laser treatments

Generally, after laser treatments, the most important thing you can do for about a week is to make sure the skin stays moist. There are a whole variety of things to do that from Vaseline to more complicated creams. About a week after treatment it’s important to start up with topical agents that maintain and further improve the results from the laser treatment. At the top of the list are products that contain glycolic acid and growth factors.

Laser Resurfacing Post Care

Laser Resurfacing Non-Ablative would be 3 to 4 days recovery and Ablative is 5 to 7 days of downtime. Many healthcare providers first recommend an occlusive barrier protection ointment that prevents the skin from drying out. Staying out of the sun would be the second most important part of your recovery. The outer layers of the skin have been compromised therefore sun exposure even for a short period of time can prolong the healing process causing the skin to stay red and inflamed while recovering. Returning to your normal skin routine such as cleanse, treat, moisturize and protect would be recommended by your healthcare provider.