Best Skin Aftercare Following Laser Resurfacing?

Is there anything special that should be done to recover after a laser skin treatment or increase the effectiveness of the laser treatment?

Recommended Aftercare following Laser Resurfacing

There are many ointments and creams available to use post-laser, with the primary goal to keep the skin moist and clean. For my patients, I recommend Aquaphor after a deep laser resurfacing procedure. Usually it is used until the the skin no longer appears raw (about 5 days). This is followed by a light moisturizer (both creams and lotions are fine). After 2 weeks, I would suggest the use of a moisturizer with sunblock (of SPF 30 or above) for 3 months. Please note that the face should not be washed until 2-3 days after the procedure and only a mild, non-drying soap should be used at that time. You can then dry your skin with gentle patting (not rubbing). I hope you find this helpful. Good luck. 

Post Laser Skin Resurfacing

It is very important to follow the aftercare protocols from your provider after laser skin resurfacing. I recommend Aquaphor to my patients because it has great healing properties for post-procedure skin. The ointment keeps the skin moist when reapplied often. After the epidermis has healed, the Aquaphor is substituted with less emollient agents. You should avoid the sun for one month.

David J. Sire, MD
Fullerton Dermatologic Surgeon

Skin Care After Laser Resurfacing

As a general rule, after laser resurfacing the skin should be kept moist until healed. We use a special type of bandage for the first 24 hours called Vigilon and then after that an ointment called Aquaphor. But each doctor probably has a particular product or regimen that they prefer. By keeping the skin moist it heals twice as quickly as letting it dry out. Its an old wives' tale that you let the air get to a wound to speed healing; its just the opposite. After the skin is healed following laser resurfacing a continuing regimen utilizing a retinoid will help stimulate further collagen deposition and improve and maintain the result.

Andrew Kaufman, MD

Elevase Moisture Booster

Our moisturizer of choice after laser resurfacing is the Elevase Moisture Booster that contains opti-ceramides. Ceramides can strengthen your skin's natural moisture barrier and are thus great for the skin after resurfacing laser. 

Dr. Karamanoukian 
Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Post Laser Skin Care

Correctly caring for your skin after a laser resurfacing treatment is important in order to promote healing and prevent complications. I have my patients clean their skin twice daily with a gentle cleanser like Cetaphil and apply Aquaphor several time a day to keep the skin moist. Usually after three days they switch from Aquaphor to Cetaphil lotion. After 5-7 days, patients can put on makeup and should be diligent about using sunscreen and avoiding sun exposure.

Steven M. Daines, MD
Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

After Laser Care

My routine after a deep laser is:

• Elta cream (a Vaseline type ointment) applied immediately after the procedure, keep reapplying as it dries out until you first get in the shower
  • Starting on day 2, the patient gets in the shower and gently washes the face (no soap) 4-6 times a day
  • Reapply the Elta cream after each shower
  • Keep this up until all the crusting, flaking and peeling is gone.  This usually takes 7-10 days following a deep Erbium treatment
  • Once the skin is not peeling anymore, you an apply a coverup makeup to hide some of the reddness
  • Moisturize with a very hypoallergenic lotion like Cetaphil
  • Keep using very mild moisturizers until the pinkness and reddness has faded (be patient as this can take weeks or even months)

John Bitner, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Best care after laser treatments

Generally, after laser treatments, the most important thing you can do for about a week is to make sure the skin stays moist. There are a whole variety of things to do that from Vaseline to more complicated creams. About a week after treatment it’s important to start up with topical agents that maintain and further improve the results from the laser treatment. At the top of the list are products that contain glycolic acid and growth factors.

David Goldberg, MD

Best Skin Aftercare Following Laser Resurfacing

Each treating physician will have his or her preferences for post operative care depending on the patient and the type of laser performed. Immediately post laser Aquaphor and Cicalfate are commonly used. Consult with your treating physician as he or she knows the scope of the treatment and the specifics about you.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Creams and Lotions Are Sufficient

This is an excellent question. Using quality, medical grade, skin care creams, serums, and lotions after having a laser skin resurfacing treatment can help promote healing and enhance the results of your procedure. It's important to keep the skin moist during the recovery process. More important by far, however, is the use of skin care products before the procedure to precondition the skin. This results in faster healing and less chance of hyperpigmentation. At my practice, we provide a post-procedure care kit to laser skin resurfacing patients, which helps ensure a prompt and safe recovery. Once the skin is fully healed, following a daily skin care regimen is an excellent way to promote continued skin health.

Otto Weiglein, FRCSC
Burlington Plastic Surgeon

Aftercare following Laser Skin Resurfacing

This answer to this question depends on the type of laser used. If its a superficial laser, less aggressive care is required. If its a deeper laser like Dual Pulsed Erbium or CO2 Full Face Ablative Resurfacing, then more aggressive care is required.

Because the Herpes virus can come out and infect the skin are laser treatments, I suggest using an Anti-Viral like Valtrex during the healing process.

I also like having my patients use a protocol of dilute Acetic Acid washes to clean the skin and fight infection followed by moisture trapping ointments like Aquaphor, Vaseline, or even Crisco.

After the skin is re-epithelialized, (i.e. no longer raw or weeping and instead pink and smooth) the sunblock and makeup can be used. For those at risk for hyperpigmentation, we will often have then on hydroquinones for a few months after the procedure.

I hope this was helpful.

Adam Scheiner, MD
Tampa Oculoplastic Surgeon