Laser Resurfacing Recovery - when Can I Go Back to Work?

what should i expect after a laser skin resurfacing?  how long is healing? are there tips for recovering from the laser treatment faster?

Recovery Time for Laser Resurfacing

The time frame to return to work is determined by the laser type and how aggressively the laser is being used. Nothing seems to greatly expedite recovery substantially, but good skin care before and after laser treatment is important to avoid complications. Moisture is necessary for newly lasered skin. Make sure a thick ointment (i.e. Aquaphor) is applied for several days. Usually, patients treated with the Erbium laser can return to work in 1 week and those treated with CO2 laser require 3 weeks to recover. Less aggressive lasers may only require a day or 2 to recover, but such laser treatment typically needs to be performed numerous times.
I hope you find this helpful. Good luck!

Laser Resurfacing Back to Work-Erbium 1 week-CO2 2 Weeks

You will not want to go back to work after Ablative Laser Resurfacing until your skin has healed and the redness can be covered with makeup.

It depends on how aggressive and deep the Laser Resurfacing treatment has been done.

Generally speaking you will heal faster after Erbium Laser Resurfacing than with CO2 Laser Resurfacing.

New Combined Erbium laser Resurfacing patients usually heal within 5-7 days. CO2 takes longer.

Plan a week out of work for Erbium and two weeks after CO2

Recovery for fractional CO2 laser

The answer to how long recovery from laser resurfacing will vary from surgeon to device to patient.  I use a fractional CO2 laser which is what is now most commonly being performed, so my answer will be based on this. My average patient will need 7 days off for the skin to peel and recover.  Aquaphor or similar ointment is needed for 5 days and makeup may be applied at day 7 to help hide the pinkness.  Sun exposure should be minimized for a month after the procedure.

Raymond E. Lee, MD

Depends on the Intensity

Ablative laser treatments require a week or more of downtime, but don't usually require more than 1 treatment. Non-ablative treatments have minimal to no downtime, but you need to return for multiple treatments. One of the reasons I typically use the Halo hybrid fractional laser at my practice is because its customizable technology doesn't require patients to choose between increased downtime or more treatments. With the Halo laser, the specialist can adjust the intensity and depth throughout the treatment. No matter which procedure type you choose, creams, lotions, and serums can help promote quicker healing. It's also very important to stay out of direct sunlight.

Otto Weiglein, FRCSC
Burlington Plastic Surgeon

Recovery time from laser depends on specific treatment

Non-ablative laser resurfacing procedures typically have between 0-3 days of downtime, during which time you may look a bit bizarre but you are able to function without any real impairment. Ablative laser resurfacing can sometimes entail 7-10 days of downtime with the earliest you can return to work around 5-7 days. The most important thing to do to speed recovery is to follow the post-operative care instructions provided by your laser surgeon and to follow up regularly during the first few days to make sure everything is on track.

Douglas Wu, MD
San Diego Dermatologist

After laser treatment the older skin will become dry and peel off, during this time there are steps that can be taken to speed up the recovery:
  • The type of laser and surgical technique, needs to be tailored to the individual the extent of the skin ageing, ethnicity and skin pigmentation. Generally fractionated CO2 lasers offer an effective skin rejuvenation while minimizing the potential side effects and offer a fast recovery. Modern day lasers offer faster recovery by treating only a proportion of the skin (termed fractionated), older lasers treated all of the skin surface (termed ablative lasers) were associated with higher risks and longer recovery.
  • After laser treatment the skin tends to dry out, apply Vaseline or similar lubricating ointment regularly while the skin is crusting and peeling. Keeping the skin moist and regularly cleaned will help a speedy recovery.
  • Wash your face regularly with a cetaphil skin soap (simple skin soap with few preservatives) to clean the skin from skin debris and body secretions. Cleansing gently with gauze sponges to clean the skin every 3-4 hours is recommended.
Depending on the type of laser resurfacing the downtime can vary, most patients are able to return to work with in 7-10 days. 

When can I go back to work after laser resurfacing?

Thank you for the important question. Returning to work after laser resurfacing depends on the degree/intensity of the treatment performed. For Fractional CO2 resurfacing, most people can be out in public in about 1 week. Working from home is a great option during this time, if need be. Attention to pre- and post-treatment care, including application of hydrating creams and gentle cleaning will maximize both results and recovery. Best of luck!

Evan Ransom, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Laser resurfacing and returning to work

I usually tell patients to plan on about a week off before returning to work after a fractionated laser treatment.  I use fairly aggressive setings.  A nice thing about fractionated lasers, is that you can power down and get the patient back to work sooner, although the end result may not be as good as higher settings/more downtime.

You can expect to be red and swollen for the first few days. A checkerboard pattern may appear and peeling usually starts on the 3rd day.  It is very important not to pick at this stage.  Your skin may still be pink, but make up can usually be worn at 1 week, upon return to work.

You should certainly follow your doctors skin care program: antibiotics, antivirals, moisturizers. With good care, I still think it take a week to heal.  Lana Long, M.D.

Lana Long, MD
Cincinnati Dermatologic Surgeon

Laser resurfacing recovery time

Basically, there are 2 groups of lasers for facial skin resurfacing : The traditional: CO2 or Erbium or Fractionated CO2 or Erbium).

The best results are obtained with the traditional laser resurfacing, but the downtime is 7-9 days. During the first 4-5 days of recovery, the skin  is quite  raw.  Rarely, infections, hyper or hypopigmentation can occur. But  most patients are quite happy with the results.

With the Fractionated CO2 Laser, the downtime can be v ariable, depending upon the intensity of the treatment.

Usually, 2-4 days. Some patients use makeup heavily in order to conceal the numerous tiny scabs and the redness. For them there is practically no downtime.

2 or3 fractionated laser treatments are necessary to equal the results of one traditional laser treatment

Eugene Mandrea, MD
Chicago Dermatologist

Laser Skin Resurfacing Downtime

We suggest 7-10 days of downtime for Laser Skin Resurfacing with Active, Deep or Total Fx, keeping the skin with an even coat of Aquaphor. During this time you will experience the swelling and peeling which most people will want to stay home for. After that time, you can begin a lighter moisturizer and always mindful of sun exposure.

Fernando G. Serra, MD
Clermont Plastic Surgeon