How Long Should You Wear Compression Garment and Support Bra for Mommy Makeover?

Mommy makeover compression

I like to keep the compression garment on for 5 to 6 weeks and while exercising a spans or other type compression garment based on symptoms. if you have no swelling then it is not needed after the first 5 weeks. I have found that it will help you see the results faster if you do ear the garments. I usually suggest a sports bra with mild compression for the breasts however that isn't really needed and if it causes any problems I suggest not wearing it. I like the sports bra early to avoid aggravating the scar while it is healing.

Compression Garments Following your Mommy Makeover

The purpose of the post-procedure #garment is to provide some gentle #support and to reduce swelling following a #TummyTuck or #Abdominoplasty. If it feels too tight or causes pain, take it off. Patients wear the #elastic garment for several weeks after surgery, as directed by their doctor. Some choose to wear it longer for several months for comfort.

If you have concerns about your #healing, or pain that you question to be unusual, it is important to call your plastic surgeon to discuss these further asked to be examine

Compression garment after mommy makeover

This varies on each surgeon, so it can be anywhere from two weeks to a couple of months. Some surgeons don't even recommend compression garments, and prefer patients wear a sports bra instead.

Please ask your surgeon what they would like for you.

Leila Kasrai, MD, FRCSC

3 weeks...

Compression garments and abdominal binders are frequently used following Mommy Makeover surgery for several reasons.These devices provide compression which reduces swelling, increases comfort and minimizes the potential for seroma formation.
I generally tell my patients to use compression garments and binders for 3 weeks following surgery.When drains are used, we continue the use of binders for longer periods of time.It’s interesting to note that when we discontinue the use of these devices, many patients continue to wear them.They feel that the extra support makes them feel more comfortable during activity.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

How long do you wear support garments?

A mommy makeover usually involves a tummy tuck combined with breast lift, augmentation or both. Different surgeons have different preferences, so you should follow your doctor's guidelines. In general, compression garments are recommended for 1 to 2 months after a tummy tuck to promote healing. After a few weeks, your surgeon may have you taper down your use of the garment and allow you to wear it only at night. Surgical bras for breast enhancement are recommended for several weeks, and some doctors also approve their patients to wear sports bras. If you have any questions during your healing process, your doctor should be able to clear you for different kinds of garments as time passes, either over the phone or during follow-up appointments. Good luck in your recovery!

Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS

Different PSs have different view on this. You need to follow your plastic surgeon's recommendations. We tell our patients to wear their compression garments at all times for about 8-10 weeks. After 10 weeks, the patient can wear the garment as much as they can for another 6 weeks. The patients will be evaluated every 4 weeks and the recommendation may change based on the patient's healing status. Our patients wear a sports bra for about 8 weeks and after that they can wear any type of bra they like. Good luck.

B. Kalantarian, MD

How Long to Wear Compression Garments After Mommy Makeover?

Most Plastic Surgeons want their patients to wear the compression garment for the Tummy Tuck for several weeks after surgery.  This will depend on the healing process.  As for the breast surgery, a surgical bra is recommended for weeks after a breast lift and breast reduction.  Many cases, patients are not required to wear a surgical garment after breast augmentation.  Your Plastic Surgeon will provide this information in the recovery period.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

How Long Should You Wear Compression Garment and Support Bra

As always, the best advice will come from your own surgeon, who knows what was done and who has followed your recovery.

Most surgeons suggest about 4-6 weeks of compression.  Many patients like the support especially after TT and wear the garment even longer. 

All the best. 

Mommy Makeover Garments

Dear recoff,  Length of time varies amongst surgeons, but most of us ask our patients to wear garments anywhere from 3-6 weeks. If you are unsure, ask your surgeon.

Douglas L. Gervais, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Compression garment after surgery

This can vary from patient to patient and surgeon to surgeon.  If you have any concerns then this is a conversation for you to have your plastic surgeon.