Can I Have a Mommy Makeover 6 Weeks After Giving Birth?

Timing of a "Mommy Makeover" After Pregnancy?

You will get a variety of answers about how long to wait after childbirth before having a "mommy makeover". “Mommy makeovers” include many different combinations and mean different things to different patients. Most ethical plastic surgeons would feel that 6 weeks is way too soon after delivering because:

·   Your body, including your abdomen is still changing.

·   You may have not lost all of your pregnancy weight.

·   You should wait a minimum of 3 months after completing breast feeding and have no further breast milk since the risk of potential complications would be higher before that time.

·   You cannot lift the baby postoperatively for weeks after a “mommy makeover”. The number of weeks depending on the extent of the procedures performed.

·   You will need additional support at home to take of the baby as well as you.

I would suggest that you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD  FACS

La Jolla, California

La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question. I recommend that you wait 12 months after the birth of your child before undergoing a mommy makeover.

6 Weeks PP... Too Soon

It’s not unusual for patients to request mommy makeover surgery following pregnancy.  This procedure includes liposuction, abdominoplasty, breast augmentation and breast lift performed in a single setting.  The timing of this procedure is extremely important for a variety of reasons.

It takes time for a new post pregnancy body to reach its new baseline following pregnancy and during this transition, it’s impossible to make aesthetic judgements.  During this period, stretched skin may contract, a swollen uterus may shrink and the weight gained during pregnancy may gradually disappear.  This takes 3-6 months and needs to occur before abdominoplasty is performed.

Pregnancy and breast feeding cause significant changes in a women’s breasts.  When breast feeding is complete the glandular elements shrink and as a result, the breast becomes smaller and develop sagginess.  It may take several months for this process to be completed and for this situation to stabilize.  Until this happens, it’s impossible to make aesthetic judgements about the breasts.

Ideally, patients should be within 10% of their body weight and in good health otherwise.  Patients who have just completed pregnancy aren’t in good physical shape for a variety of reasons.  They may have severe fatigue, a depressed immune system, possible blood loss, and elevated estrogen levels which can increase the risk of blood clots.

For all these reasons, it’s important that mommy makeover be delayed for at least 3 to 6 months following pregnancy.  If you’re considering mommy makeover surgery, it’s important to give yourself time to fully recover from pregnancy.  Once this has occurred it’s appropriate to consult a board certified plastic surgeon.

When to Get a Mommy Makeover

It's suggested to wait at least 6 months after pregnancy to undergo a Mommy Makeover. Additionally, your weight should also be stable for at least 6 months.
#Combining these procedures decreases anesthetics, costs, and recovery time.  Most importantly, your procedures should be performed by a #PlasticSurgeon who is board-certified and has a great deal of experience specializing in cosmetic #surgery. You will then greatly improve your chances of getting the result you desire, and, without the need for a revision surgery. It is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.
All surgical procedures carry some degree of #risk. Always discuss your issues and concerns with the Plastic Surgeon during and following your consultation. Information that you read online may not apply to your personal situation.
It is imperative you select a plastic surgeon who is #board-certified and has a great deal of experience with the procedures included with a Mommy Makeover. . Aside from checking board-certification, it is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision

Mommy makeover and pregnancy

If you are planning on getting pregnant or you already pregnant, you can rest assured that your stomach can re-stretch to accommodate pregnancy. The only exception might be if you had a complication with your tummy tuck and developed excessive scar tissue.

If you are actively planning on getting pregnant and considering a mommy makeover, it would be more prudent to delay your procedure until after your pregnancy and when your body returns to the post-pregnancy baseline as your body will go through some additional changes with each pregnancy. This may take six months after pregnancy, and longer if you are breast feeding in which case you may want to wait an additional 3-6 months. 

I would visit with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your concerns and goals in more detail.

A little too soon for a Mommy Makeover

In my opinion, six weeks is still too early to undergo a mommy makeover. Pregnancy creates an increased risk of clotting and it would not be advisable to have any major surgery for a minimum of 3 months. Ideally you would wait at least six months so that your body would have an opportunity to contract loose tissues and for any weight loss to be achieved. At 6 months, if you are close to your ideal weight, your plastic surgeon will be able to optimally contour your tissues so that you achieve the most optimal result. Additionally, if you are breast feeding then you will need to wait at least a full 3 months following weaning so that your breasts fully return to their pre-lactation shape and size.

Carlin Vickery, MD

Mommy Makeover 6 Weeks After Giving Birth?

Thank you for your question. We do not advise this and prefer patients to wait at least 9-12 months, and have finished breast feeding, and have the weight stabilize. There are exception, but we feel waiting is prudent as many body changes are occurring, and breast volume is changing, especially with breast feeding, and cessation of breast feeding, and atrophy of the mammary ducts. The way to get the best outcome is to wait until the body is not changing so much. I hope this helps.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Mommy makeover with a newborn

Although it may be safe for you to have a mommy makeover 6 weeks after childbirth, I wouldn't recommend it. It takes a woman's body some time after pregnancy to return to a stable state. Your weight and abdomen skin will fluctuate, and your breasts will change depending on breastfeeding. If you have mommy makeover surgeries such as breast enhancement and tummy tuck, your results will likely be affected by these changes in your body. You will also be very hands-on with your new baby at that time. Having surgeries that require downtime and restrict lifting will compromise that. Most surgeons recommend waiting at least 6 months after childbirth. This can be less if you aren't breastfeeding and have little pregnancy weight to lose, but it depends on your body and your surgeon's recommendation. Find a qualified doctor who can talk to you about what's right for your body. Mothers everywhere know the virtue of patience. Good luck with your pregnancy and mommy makeover!

Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS

You can.

Mommy makeovers, aka multiple surgeries which often include a breast augmentation and/or lift, an abdominoplasty, and liposuction, are one of the most common requests from my patients.

I often recommend to my patients that they wait 6 months to a year after giving birth and, 2-3 months after breast feeding. Each patient has a different post-partum body, so some new mothers can be ready just shortly after giving birth. But, if you had a c-section, you will have to wait until you are fully healed and for your body to be ready before undergoing a mommy makeover. 

Another issue is care. You may need help for at least 7-14 days after surgery. It will be hard getting around the first few days and you want to make sure you will have assistance caring for your baby. 

If you are small and there is not much more weigh to lose, within the 15 - 20 lb range, you're not breast feeding, and if your OB/GYN agrees you are ready, then you may have your surgery now without losing out on the full benefits. 

Steven M. Katz, MD (retired)
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Timing of Mommy Makeover after pregnancy

Six weeks after pregnancy is definitely too early to have any body contouring procedures.  Your body will go through many changes after the birth of your child.  I would wait at least 6 months and possibly longer if you are breast feeding.  You also want to make sure you have help available during the recovery period as you will not be able to lift your child for some time after the surgery.  Congrats on the birth of your child and make sure you seek out a board-certified plastic surgeon when the timing is more appropriate.

Naveen Setty, MD