How often can you get lip injections?

I had my first lip injection ever with Juvederm back in June. He used 1 syringe for both bottom and top. It is now November and I feel like my lips are small and they're not the look that I am going for. I am wanting to achieve bigger fuller lips similar to Irina Shayk (had a computer image done), but I'm afraid my doctor won't allow me to go that big. Are lip injections something you have to build up over time? How often can I get them done to achieve the desired look that I want?

Wanting more filler in the lips

Thank you for your question about lip Juvederm.

• I understand completely the desire to get a Hollywood 'look'.
  • But what you see on-line is deceiving - the results are often photoshopped and not real.
  • This allows the star to get attention without looking over-done in real life.
  • Your photos suggest that like Irina, your upper lip is overfilled compared to your lower lip.
  • If you have more fill in the upper lip now - it will not look pretty and your smile will be distorted.
  • For a natural look, you might have a little more filler in the lower lip for balance.
  • Keep what is left over and have that injected in your upper and lower lip in another 6 months.
  • If that is not what you want - trust your doctor -
  • Filler is expensive and the usual result of two syringes of filler in a young lip is a request to dissolve it. 
Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes

Lip injections can be done as many times as needed

It is important for your injector to be careful when initially doing lip augmentation, as it’s easy to overfill and end up with an unnatural, duck-lips appearance. There should be no problem going back in for a touch-up if you feel your lips are too small, however. Providers often err on the side of caution, as it’s much easier to add more product than reverse an overfilled look. I recommend visiting a board-certified dermatologist with experience performing lip augmentation and discussing your goals with them. It’s also important to remember that everyone has different facial features, and what looks good on one celebrity may not necessarily look good on you. A skilled injector should be able to give you lips that look good on you while meeting your goals as closely as possible.

Mary E. Hurley, MD
Dallas Dermatologist

Get more

If you want your lips to look bigger then yes, get more filler. There is no time restriction. It is really up to you and your desired outcome. Best, Dr. Nazarian

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Lip Injections

If you feel that your lips are still too small after the injections, you can return at any time to have more filler injected.  There is no strict time to inject.  Best, Dr. Green

Lip fillers

If you sense your lips are smaller or you want more filler you can have it at almost anytime. Best of luck.

Lip injections

Dear NYCgirl2555,

There is no time limit for adding filler.  Typically filler around the lips lasts at least 5-6 months.  You seem to be worried that your doctor "won't allow me to go that big."  This is a separate issue.  The lip naturally should be bigger on the bottom and smaller on the top.  If you are trying to achieve an artificial/unnatural result, your doctor has the right to refuse to do that. Consider what you are trying to achieve and why.  Then, discuss that with your doctor. I agree that many photos are photoshopped.  I imagine that you would want to look natural in real life.  I have done many lip reduction surgeries as a result of overzealous injections. Trends change.  Err on the side of caution!

Dr. Michelle Yagdoa

Michelle R. Yagoda, MD

Full Lips

There is no limit as to how often you can have injectable prcedures with products such as juvederm or other hyalurinic acid. The products tend to last 6-9 months and maintain volume well throughout that time. However, there is nothing wrong with wanting to add more volume if thats  the aesthetic you desire. Your doctor is right to start slow because subtle changes in volume can have a noticable effect. Its important to communicate your treatment goals to end up with a result you are happy with. Your lips look very nice now, just be careful
not to over-do it!

Brian A. Pinsky, MD
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Lip augmentation

Lip enlargement is tricky & as an injector u can't let the pt dictate size & shape as compared to some celebrity , as often they tire of their appearance depending on roles  . U can use the pts desires to determine their cosmetic knowledge 
this patient has a nice result now , average duration is lower than other locations as this is the most active area in our face , better to use incremental improvements than over correct , I would say see the pt every few mos & determine if more is advisable  . Lip enlargement can be one of the most gratifying event for both pt & dr but should be an artistic endeavor !

Jerrold Gendler, MD, FRCS

Lip size after Juvederm

You look great as is.    There is the correct size and then the correct size plus but at some point if size is too much the poor patient looks like a clown.   Beware of the clown end result.  Wait a full year between treatment with Juvederm Ultra Plus.    We have seen many patients coming from overseas with extreme lip size and have done many surgical reductions.   The good news about Juvederm is that you can remove it with an injection of Vitrase.   Some substances are permanent and cause real havoc.  My Best,  Dr Commons

Fuller lips

Thank you for your question.  Yes you can have more volume added over time and it will give you bigger fuller lips.  Just remember when the first syringe that you had in June starts to dissolve, your lips will start to return to their smaller volume.  We often times do staged volumization's over a couple of weeks to make sure the patient gets exactly what they are looking for, and if you want more volume you should discuss it with your physician.  Nevertheless it is safe to add more volume and then next time perhaps have 2 syringes done over two weeks.  Regards, Dr. Matt Elias

Matthew Elias, DO, FAAD
Fort Lauderdale Dermatologic Surgeon