Generic finasteride vs Propecia effectiveness? Recent study worries me.

Do you believe 1mg generic finasteride doesn’t work as well as propecia? Forum, The ISHRS journal has an article concluding that generic 1mg fin causes the patient to continue to thin (and those switching from Propecia to generic saw loss increase). They believe Propecia has a higher effectiveness due to ingredients--new generics DO NOT have same compounds. Do you believe this is true? I'm on 9 months generic 1mg from Costco and it doesn't seem to be stopping loss. Article is at goo.gl/SPL7Pz

Generic vs brand name

The FDA is quite strict on generic medications and there is little variability between the two. This is for medications that are produced in the USA. If the medication comes from overseas or outside the USA, there may be higher variability. You should ask your pharmacist at the place where you fill your prescription, you may be surprised where your generic finasteride is coming from. 

Chicago Physician

Generic Finasteride versus Propecia

The article you refer to is not a study but a collection of thoughts from a couple of colleagues who are also members of the ISHRS. Both medications have the same ingredient "finasteride". I am glad you are doing your research. Finasteride if you purchase it in the USA is the same medication as Propecia and should work exactly the same.

Brian Goertz, MD
Seattle Hair Restoration Surgeon

It might be time to try something different: Prp and Progesterone for hair loss treatment

The generic should be the same formula as the name brand due to FDA controls. If you're not satisfied with your results, I recommend getting a formal consultation with a hair loss expert. PRP and progesterone injections and/or hair transplant are great alternatives. Best, Dr. Emer

Generic vs brand finasteride

In theory, these two medications should be the same as the FDA controls the quality of the drug. I have heard that the dose of the generic may not be as predictable as the brand name Propecia

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon