How much does small forehead lipoma removal cost? (Photo)

Dear Doctors, I have a small lipoma on my forehead and it is only about 5 x 16 mm big(I did a CT scan). I am looking to get it done by a plastic surgeon. How much should I expect or what are the ranges? Thank you all for your time and advice in advanced.

How much does small forehead lipoma removal cost?

Costs for a mass/lipoma excision will certainly vary depending on your location. Things to factor in for the procedure standpoint will be the facility fee, anesthesia fee, and surgeon fee.  Often times, procedures like this could be comfortable performed in the office...negating costs of facility and anesthesia.  A range in price ~$500-2000 is not unreasonable. $1K would be a reasonable cost on average. A consultation with a plastic surgeon will help you in determining which procedure(s) would be the right one for you. Cost also depends on the complexity of your case and how much work would need to be done to achieve an aesthetically-pleasing result for you. Good luck!

Cost of removal of forehead lipoma?

The cost of any surgical procedure will vary by surgeon.  It is possible that medical insurance would cover removal of a forehead lipoma as well.  If you have medical insurance, you could have the surgeon's office check to see if you would be covered for the procedure or not.  If you were paying for the procedure without insurance, I would say the rough estimate would be in the hundreds of dollars and not over $1000 in most cases.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

When it comes to cost of surgery, there may be many “variables” involved. The specific surgeon's credentials/experience level (or lack thereof), the specific geographic area you are looking at, the different operations available, the location of the procedure ( quality of surgery facility), type/quality of anesthesia provider… are some of the potential variables involved. You will find average costs of surgery listed on this website, and on individual plastic surgeon's websites as well.

In regards to outcome of the planned procedure, more important than costs of the procedures will be careful selection of your plastic surgeon. I would suggest starting with the American Society of Plastic Surgery and/or the Aesthetic Society of Plastic Surgery to obtain a list of well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons. 

I would also suggest that you do not base your selection of plastic surgeon primarily on costs of surgery; keep in mind that revisionary surgery may be more costly in many ways.  I hope this, and the attached link, helps. Best wishes.

Sometimes insurance will cover these procedures.

Beverly Hills, CA........................

The typical cost would be around $1000. I recommend that you scrutinize the before and after photos closely regardless of whom you choose. I hope this information is helpful for you.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon