Is It Okay to Take Weight Loss Supplements After a Month from a Breast Augmentation?

Supplements for surgery

Omega 3 fats (e.g. fish oil, EFA, flax seed oil, Krill oil), NSAID's (aspirin, ibuprofen, naprosyn), Vitamin E, "blood thinners" and a whole host of supplements and medicines can cause excessive bleeding and bruising and therefore increase your recovery time. When in doubt stay away from supplements unless they are designed for surgery. I offer to my patients specific supplements that speed healing, reduce swelling, bruising and in some cases minimize discomfort (for example Bromelain, Arnica Montanum, and Vitamins designed for surgery.

Bottom Line: Certain vitamins and minerals can speed healing others can cause problems and slow the process down or cause complications. If healing is going well I usually let my patients go back to their usual regimen of supplements

Check with your doctor as only your doctor would have access to your medical history and what would be best for you. We typically allow our patients to continue their supplements 10 days post op if their recovery is going well.

Ask your surgeon

Before taking anything, please speak to your surgeon. They should know if it’s safe for you to do so, since they know your medical history and the medications you may be taking right now. There expertise is the only way you can be sure when it’s safe for you to start taking your supplements.

Supplements

Many supplements may be fine to take- but you should check with your surgeon or PMD for this advice.

Scott E. Newman, MD, FACS

Breast augmentation and supplements

Prior to using any weight loss supplements and/or diet pills, I recommend consulting your primary care physician to select good quality medications and minimize risks. One month after your breast out patient procedure, you should be able to take physician approved weight-loss supplements.

Weight loss supplements 1 month after breast augmentation

It should be OK to consider weight loss supplements one month after your breast augmentation.  Please visit with your primary care physician to select a weight loss supplement safest for you.  Best of luck

Weight loss supplements after breast augmentation

A healthy diet and low impact exercise should be started after a breast augmentation procedure.  Because of the importance of good nutrition after surgery and its impact on proper wound healing, you should not start any diet that advertises rapid weight loss. 

Elizabeth S. Harris, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Weight loss supplements

Yes, most weight loss supplements are safe to take, if taking prescribed meds, just check back in and get an ok from the physician who is managing you.

Charles Virden, MD
Reno Plastic Surgeon

Dieting After Plastic Surgery

Having a healthy life style is an important part of getting the most out of any plastic surgery procedure, including breast augmentation. That sustainable lifestyle should include aerobic and weight bearing exercise and healthy eating habits.  If you need to reduce your weight make sure you are using a method that will have long term success.  A consult with your primary care physician or a dietician might help you to be part of a successful program.  Weight loss supplements may only have a short term benefit.

Mary Lee Peters, MD

These should not affect the breast augmentation.  I would recommend you consult with your primary care physician prior to any weight loss meds though.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

Weight loss supplements after BA

Yes, should be okay to take the supplements. Be sure to check with you primary care doctor first. No issues with implants at this point.