6 Weeks After Lower Body Lift Swelling in Thighs/upper Legs- Normal?

6 weeks after lower body lift (belt liptectomy) I still have significant swelling, mainly from incision line down, around the incision line itself the swelling has decreased to within 1 inch of my previous waist size. But my hips/thighs are large enough I am currently wearing pants 1-2 size larger and still snug. Is the swelling in the thighs and legs normal? I am wearing Spanz compression tshirt that my physician recommended, but I am also wearing my abdominal binder periodically for lumbar.

Prolonged Swelling Following Lower Body Lift

The wound healing process following lower body lift surgery lasts for over a year. Most of the swelling resolves in six to eight weeks, but small amounts of swelling may persist for up to a year. The procedure inevitably interrupts the abdominal lymphatic drainage, and this takes time to re-establish itself. Patients can minimize swelling with compression garments, massage and limitation on activity levels. It's important to remember that swelling is a normal part of wound healing and should resolve with time.

Significant swelling six weeks following lower body lift surgery should be evaluated by your plastic surgeon. In the vast majority of patients, this swelling is probably normal, but in a small percentage of patients, it might represent a problem. Seroma formation, low grade infection and lower extremity blood clots might be possible explanations for this swelling. If you continue to be concerned about persistent swelling, it's important to consult your plastic surgeon. Your surgeon should be able to evaluate your condition and formulate an appropriate treatment plan.

6 Weeks After Lower Body Lift Swelling in Thighs/upper Legs- Normal

Thank you for your question.  A photo would be helpful.   I would recommend you have an examination by your surgeon today.  Follow your surgeon's advise and continue close follow ups.  Best wishes. 

Swelling after body lift

Swelling and bruising can take up to seven weeks following surgery to subside, but this can certainly last longer depending on your rate of recovery. Please continue to follow your surgeon's post-surgery care instructions and wear your compression garment. You should see your surgeon if the swelling is sudden.

Swelling after surgery

Thank you for your email.

It sounds like your swelling may be normal and it may take months for the swelling to subside.  I would highly recommend that you visit with your plastic surgeon to make sure that the swelling is normal post procedure swelling and not anything else.

Best Wishes!