If I wear eyelid tape 22 hours a day for three months, will it make a new permanent crease in my eyelid?

I already have double eyelids, but my eyelids are uneven. It is hard to see that I have a double eyelid on my right eye. Also, will doing this stretch the skin on my eyelid causing it to become saggy?

Eyelid Taping Results are Temporary.

Taping your upper lids for a prolonged time, even longer than 3 months,  will not result in a permanent upper eyelid crease

Not effective

Unfortunately, it won't leave a permanent crease and you could irritate your skin if you wear the tape for so long everyday.

Asian Double Eyelid - Will taping work?

Thank you for your question. Taping produces a temporary crease because the skin is not smooth. It attemps to mimic the internal attachments of the skin that create the Asian double eyelid fold. However, once the tape is not on your skin or the sticky material from the tape is cleansed off, the eyelids usually revert back to their original shape. The only permanent solution would be surgery.

This surgery is not a big procedure. Depending on the anatomy of your eyes and whether you have excess sagging skin, or fatty eyelids, or both, there are options that would address your condition. These are: 1. Suture Technique (make a double eyelid crease through stab incisions) and 2. Traditional open double eyelid surgery. Option 1 is good if your eyelids do not have too much loose skin or have too much fat. Option 2. is better if you have too much sagging upper eyelid skin or your eyelids are too fatty/full. The eyelid crease can be created wider or narrower depending on your needs/desire. If you have uneven eyelid creases, these can be adjusted so that they are similar/symmetrical on both sides.

If you tape your skin frequently and for long durations, it is possible to stretch out and loose your eyelid skin. Another common reason for your eyelids loosening or stretching out, other than aging and gravity, are allergies. People with constant eyelid swelling that is poorly controlled, also loosen their eyelid skin with time.

Hope this helps. If you have any questions, or would like an evaluation, please see a board certified plastic surgeon who is experienced with Asian eyelid surgery. Nothing is better than an in-person consultation for evaluating your eyes and formulating a treatment plan that is customized to your eyes.

Perry Liu, MD

Unfortunately tapping will not create the permanent effect you are looking for.

It is likely that manipulating the eyelids with the tape will cause some minor stretching of the eyelids.  Occasionally individuals can develop an allergic reaction to the tape itself.  Provided the tape is an option that may use to manipulate the appearance of the double fold.  Ultimately it is not ideal and for this reason, it is useful to understand that double fold surgery can help you achieve the look you want.  Please be aware that finding a doctor is unfortunately not as simple as finding a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery or a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery.  Several subspecialties offer cosmetic eyelid surgery including oculoplastic surgeons, general plastic surgeons and facial plastic surgeons.  Complicating factor, a particular credential does not mean they are experienced, qualified or trained to perform double fold surgery.  Before consulting a particular surgeon, study their website and look at their credentials, the nature of their practice and, yes, their before and after photos.  If they do not feature double fold surgery, it really does not matter what specialty they practice or are certified in, it is the wrong doctor.  Look for surgeons who make double fold surgery a focus of their practice.  Interview several doctors.  Listen carefully to what is being proposed.  Make sure the surgeon actually examines you in detail.  If the consultation is not detailed, it is very unlikely that the surgery will be detailed.  For double fold surgery, success is all about details.

It would certainly be nice if it were that simple, but it's not. You would not see any lasting benefit from the taping process that you mention.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Wearing eyelid tape will not produce a your desired result. There are fairly surgical procedures than can potentially improve your asymmetry

I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS
La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Uneven Double Eyelids

Wearing double sided tape to enhance a double eyelid will not result in creating a higher crease with repeated use.  Many patients experience stretching and irritation of the skin.  A simple procedure usually can help fix this.

Kimberly Lee, MD

Tape on eyelids

Thank you for your interesting question.

I do not believe that tapping the lids will improve your asymmetry. I recommend that you meet in person with a board certified plastic surgeon to have an exam and discuss your goals and treatment options.

Best Regards,

Dr. Stutman

Ross Stutman, MD