Weak Jawline Solutions

Hello, my question regards to what I can do about a weak jawline. I am 22 years old and have been extremely self conscious about my profile for many years. I am so embarrassed when I see a photo of me taken of the side of my face... I always look awful. I am tired of feeling this way and want to know if there is anything I can do. Any research into this shows me solutions for more mature skin's sagging, which I am not sure is a suitable solution for me as my issue is not age related (or rather the skin losing elasticity over time), since I have never had a good jawline. I would like to try to avoid a chin implant if possible, as many that I have seen look very unnatural, but I would like to hear any and all options I have.

Is "pulling up" the skin between my jawbone and neck a solution/option? Also, I am not really looking for a subtle change, but I don't think an overly prominent chin is the answer either. I really want the sharp and elegant jawlines as seen on other women! Is there any way? Thank you so much for reading this, any and all help is greatly appreciated as I yearn for a solution that will bring me more confidence.

A weak jawline can be treated with a chin implant or facial fillers

The strength or weakness of a jawline can define the attractiveness of a face. The great news is the chin is one of the most treatable parts of the face.

The least invasive option is to use fillers along the jawline to strengthen your profile. Placing RADIESSE® can give results for 6-9 months. Multiple treatments of ArteFill® can give more permanent results. Using fillers is a great way to preview results and adjust the amount of augmentation you'd like.
I understand your concern about chin implants looking unnatural, but there are many surgeons who work to properly balance the face, not to over-enhance the chin. It is a very straightforward and minimally invasive procedure to place a chin implant, and implant size is customizable. I recommend an implant for a more severe facial proportion imbalance. With a very quick recovery, the proportions of your face can be greatly improved, and no more loose skin or embarrassing photos.

For information about non-surgical chin augmentations, visit the link below.

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Different methods for increasing jaw line and chin defintion

A well defined neck and jaw line is desirable for facial harmony and balance.  People with strong and well balanced jaw lines are often viewed as more successful and intelligent. 

There is however a fear for many patients that enhancing their chins will lead to an unnatural overdone appearance.  When the chin is enhanced to fit the other facial proportions, the results lead to natural facial harmony. 

Chin enhancement can be done surgically, most commonly via a chin implant.  Less commonly, this is done by jaw advancement surgery.  This is more complicated and comes with higher risks.  Increasingly, patients are asking for non surgical chin enhancement.  Various fillers from Radiesse to Juvederm Voluma and Sculptra injections can be used depending on the desired result, and duration of effect.

A weak chin is often accompanied by excess heaviness along the neck and jaw line.  Conservative liposuction, using Smart Lipo, can add to chin augmentation results by giving a more crisp neck and jaw line.

I find that 3D computer imaging using the Vectra system can help illustrate pre operatively what changes can be made

Ran Y. Rubinstein, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Jaw line improvement - Chin implant or other method

I know you probably do not want to hear this, but a chin implant is the way to go!  Injectables or skin lifts are not going to get you what you need.  A chin implant is a simple procedure and works wonders.  Please look into it first.  It is the solution for what you need.

Jay Calvert, MD, FACS

Chin/Neck Options

From your profile, it appears that you would be an excellent candidate for a mentoplasty. A complete evaluation though would require looking at the front and side views as well. In your case, you may want to consider simple chin implantation or a more involved procedure of moving the bone of your lower jaw forward (particularly if you have a significant underbite). In either event, this would change your profile, alter your neck appearance, and change your front view as well.

D.J. Verret, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Beautiful jawline for a woman

There are a number of anatomic elements that create a beautiful jawline in a woman.  A surgeon would palpate and study your lower jaw anatomy to determine the best surgical approach.  This could be augmenting the weak bone with appropriate style and size chin implant, may be adding mandibular angle implant, possibly doing microliposuctioon around the lower jaw/neck, or even adding some structural fat grafting.  Your best bet is to find 2-3 reputable surgeons that have lots of experience in this area and educating yourself this way.  Ultimately you need to find a surgeon whom you can trust to give you the result you desire.

Boris M. Ackerman, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Placement of an implant is usually the preferred method to augment a weak chin

Hi Kitty15

I understand that you would prefer to avoid a chin implant, but as you describe your goals I believe it is still the best solution to your condition. “Pulling up” the skin from a facelift or neck lift will not provide the degree of change you desire. Although the chin can be augmented without an implant I would not recommend this procedure in your case. This type of surgery would require advancing a part of your jawbone to give it more projection. Placement of a chin implant would provide a similar change and is a much easier procedure. For a thorough education and discussion I would recommend a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon.

I hope this is of some help to you as you make your decisions. I believe your goals are realistic and can be achieved.

Wayne I. Yamahata, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Chin Implants Should Look Natural and Harmonious

The goals of plastic surgery are to enhance patient’s natural beauty by improving balance and harmony to the face. In a 22 year old, it would be highly unlikely that you would require a lifting or tightening procedure.  If you have a weak or recessed chin it can create:  
  1. Shorten jawline
  2. Poor defnintion in the neck
  3. Disrupt facial balance and proportion
  If you have a weak chin, a chin implant is a wonderful procedure.  It can dramatic improve the facial features while creating a natural result.  The procedure is quick and the recovery is rather easy.     I hope this helps.

Chin Implant?

Thank you for your question.  It is hard to tell what exactly will benefit you best, without a physical examination.  I advise you to seek a board certified plastic surgeon and have a consultation.  Best of luck!
Dr Dhaval PatelDouble Board Certified Plastic SurgeonChicagoHoffman EstatesOak Brook

Dhaval M. Patel, MD
Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

Young person with poor jawline

As a young person who is unhappy with their jawline, it is difficult to say exactly what the issue maybe without photos.  Since you're not old enough to lose volume, it's most likely a bony deficiency.  A chin implant can help the area around the chin but it doesn't help the remainder of the jawline.  Neck liposuction along with a chin implant if you have a small chin and heaviness in the neck would be a great combination to better define the jawline, neckline, and give you some more skeletal definition.

If you are opposed to surgery, adding volumizers such as Restylane Lyft or Radiesse to the chin and jawline will work very well as well as Sculptra.  These fillers can act like you're having bony volume 'replaced' and give you a more defined jawline though it does not effect the heaviness in the neck.  Using a procedure, such as kybella, ThermiTight, or another fat removal process in office can help better define the neck along with using fillers to define the jawline.  Hope this helps. 

Mike Majmundar, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Solutions for jawline

Based on your concerns and your age, a chin implant or dermal fillers could be used to give you the results  you desire. Chin implants are very safe and have a natural appearance if done by an experienced surgeon. Other procedures you describe, such as “lifting” the skin of your jaw and neck, would not be suitable for a 22 year old such as yourself, and would not give you the change you desire. I encourage you to speak to a board certified surgeon in your area about what procedure you are a candidate for.

Vito C. Quatela, MD
Rochester Facial Plastic Surgeon