Weak Jawline Solutions

Hello, my question regards to what I can do about a weak jawline. I am 22 years old and have been extremely self conscious about my profile for many years. I am so embarrassed when I see a photo of me taken of the side of my face... I always look awful. I am tired of feeling this way and want to know if there is anything I can do. Any research into this shows me solutions for more mature skin's sagging, which I am not sure is a suitable solution for me as my issue is not age related (or rather the skin losing elasticity over time), since I have never had a good jawline. I would like to try to avoid a chin implant if possible, as many that I have seen look very unnatural, but I would like to hear any and all options I have.

Is "pulling up" the skin between my jawbone and neck a solution/option? Also, I am not really looking for a subtle change, but I don't think an overly prominent chin is the answer either. I really want the sharp and elegant jawlines as seen on other women! Is there any way? Thank you so much for reading this, any and all help is greatly appreciated as I yearn for a solution that will bring me more confidence.

A weak jawline can be treated with a chin implant or facial fillers

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
The strength or weakness of a jawline can define the attractiveness of a face. The great news is the chin is one of the most treatable parts of the face.

The least invasive option is to use fillers along the jawline to strengthen your profile. Placing RADIESSE® can give results for 6-9 months. Multiple treatments of ArteFill® can give more permanent results. Using fillers is a great way to preview results and adjust the amount of augmentation you'd like.
I understand your concern about chin implants looking unnatural, but there are many surgeons who work to properly balance the face, not to over-enhance the chin. It is a very straightforward and minimally invasive procedure to place a chin implant, and implant size is customizable. I recommend an implant for a more severe facial proportion imbalance. With a very quick recovery, the proportions of your face can be greatly improved, and no more loose skin or embarrassing photos.

For information about non-surgical chin augmentations, visit the link below.

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Different methods for increasing jaw line and chin defintion

A well defined neck and jaw line is desirable for facial harmony and balance.  People with strong and well balanced jaw lines are often viewed as more successful and intelligent. 

There is however a fear for many patients that enhancing their chins will lead to an unnatural overdone appearance.  When the chin is enhanced to fit the other facial proportions, the results lead to natural facial harmony. 

Chin enhancement can be done surgically, most commonly via a chin implant.  Less commonly, this is done by jaw advancement surgery.  This is more complicated and comes with higher risks.  Increasingly, patients are asking for non surgical chin enhancement.  Various fillers from Radiesse to Juvederm Voluma and Sculptra injections can be used depending on the desired result, and duration of effect.

A weak chin is often accompanied by excess heaviness along the neck and jaw line.  Conservative liposuction, using Smart Lipo, can add to chin augmentation results by giving a more crisp neck and jaw line.

I find that 3D computer imaging using the Vectra system can help illustrate pre operatively what changes can be made

Ran Y. Rubinstein, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Jaw line improvement - Chin implant or other method

I know you probably do not want to hear this, but a chin implant is the way to go!  Injectables or skin lifts are not going to get you what you need.  A chin implant is a simple procedure and works wonders.  Please look into it first.  It is the solution for what you need.

Jay Calvert, MD, FACS

Chin/Neck Options

From your profile, it appears that you would be an excellent candidate for a mentoplasty. A complete evaluation though would require looking at the front and side views as well. In your case, you may want to consider simple chin implantation or a more involved procedure of moving the bone of your lower jaw forward (particularly if you have a significant underbite). In either event, this would change your profile, alter your neck appearance, and change your front view as well.

D.J. Verret, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Beautiful jawline for a woman

There are a number of anatomic elements that create a beautiful jawline in a woman.  A surgeon would palpate and study your lower jaw anatomy to determine the best surgical approach.  This could be augmenting the weak bone with appropriate style and size chin implant, may be adding mandibular angle implant, possibly doing microliposuctioon around the lower jaw/neck, or even adding some structural fat grafting.  Your best bet is to find 2-3 reputable surgeons that have lots of experience in this area and educating yourself this way.  Ultimately you need to find a surgeon whom you can trust to give you the result you desire.

Boris M. Ackerman, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Placement of an implant is usually the preferred method to augment a weak chin

Hi Kitty15

I understand that you would prefer to avoid a chin implant, but as you describe your goals I believe it is still the best solution to your condition. “Pulling up” the skin from a facelift or neck lift will not provide the degree of change you desire. Although the chin can be augmented without an implant I would not recommend this procedure in your case. This type of surgery would require advancing a part of your jawbone to give it more projection. Placement of a chin implant would provide a similar change and is a much easier procedure. For a thorough education and discussion I would recommend a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon.

I hope this is of some help to you as you make your decisions. I believe your goals are realistic and can be achieved.

Wayne I. Yamahata, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Weak Jawline Solutions

It's best to begin by consulting with a surgeon in-person to discuss your options. During your initial examination, your #chin will be evaluated along with the neck and jawline. A weak #chin implies a lack of chin support for the skin along the neck line. In younger individuals a chin implant alone is usually all that is needed to improve the appearance of the neck. Subsequently, it will also improve the overall #balance of the face and can create the illusion of a smaller nose. As a stand-alone procedure, chin augmentation can be performed in the office under local #anesthesia. For individuals with signs of #aging in the neck, a chin implant added to one of the recommended procedures above, will provide optimal results.

If you are not a candidate at the time of your #consultation, your board certified plastic surgeon can recommend alternatives to address your concern. Consulting with a board-certified plastic surgeon who specializes in #face, #neck and #chin procedures is important to ensure you are receiving the best advice, care, and surgical experience possible.

Jawline definition and contour

The lower jaw may not grow to a full profile/jawline prominence mainly related to genetics/heredity. The improvement of the jawline is best considered from the chin to the angles of the jaw and can be looked at both in profile and frontally to achieve the best result. A genioplasty will improve the chin area and also the 'under chin' area by flattening that site. However, it is also important to 'blend' in the chin surgery with the rest of the jawline; and that can be done with small amounts of implant material in 'strips' extending from the chin along the jawline towards the ear. This combined approach gives the most natural and complete result. The key is always facial balance as well, so that the chin/jaw should balance with the middle face. 

Gerald Wittenberg, MSc, DMD
Vancouver Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Weak Jawline Solutions

Thank you for your question.  There are  a number of different approaches that can be used to improve a weak jawline.  The choice of which intervention may depend on the underlying anatomic cause which would best be assessed in an in person consultation or with photos.  In a young patient with a weak jawline, a chin implant may be a good answer.  That said the effect of a chin implant can be achieved with fillers which would be a temporary and reversible intervention if you were unsure about it.  Sometimes there is excess fat /fullness beneath the chin that can contribute to a weak jawline - this can be treated with liposuction or Kybella depending on the severity of the fullness.  Filler along the mandible body can emphasize the jawline as well.  Also an important aspect of the profile view to anyones face is the balance achieved between the nose and the chin.  Many times patients who are unhappy with the appearance of their nose can benefit from a chin implant to balance out the profile appearance.  The converse can be true as well that rhinoplasty can also help bring the appearance of a weak chin into balance.  

Catherine Weng, MD
Denver Otolaryngologist

Chin implants

The chin is important facial feature that provides balance to the face especially in profile view. A strong chin also give the neck better contour and youthfulness. A weak chin can make the neck less youthful, make the nose look long and throws everything out of balance. There are three general ways to augment the chin: fillers, implants, and bone surgery. Fillers are easy and require no downtime, but are temporary and require a relatively large amount to show a real difference. Implants are the most popular option due to its ease and predictable outcomes. There are a variety of implants but silicon based ones are the most commonly used. Jaw bone surgery (genioplasty) is common among oral surgeons but it is the most invasive. Which of the above works best depends on the patient’s goals and wishes.

Jeffrey Jumaily, MD