Watering Eyes (Eyelid Tightening)?

In the case of excessive tearing ( not due to any blockages ) what exactly does " retightening of the eyelids " to inprove tear pump action involve ? For example if it involved the upper eyelids would it be something like a blepharoplasty or does it involve tightening the margin of the eyelid also ( reducing the length of the margin ?) A reference web page would be very helpful.

Doctor Answers 3

Often wishful thinking on the part of the surgeon.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Lateral canthal surgery is often done for the wrong reasons.  If you have excessive tearing and an otherwise normal outflow pathway, the probability that tightening the lateral canthal tendon (lateral canthoplasty) will result in improve tear handling is low.  It is far more likely that treatment of dry eye would be more effective.  More than one opinion is warranted here.

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

Tightening Lower Lid

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

    Pictures and physical exam are critical here.  The lower eyelid is the focus of treatment here.  The tightening can be done with just a stitch (lateral canthopexy), readjustment and stitch (lateral canthoplasty), removal of redundant tissue and stitching, and possible placement of additional supporting materials.  The treatments are different based upon how the lower eyelid became the way it is now.  The result of surgery or trauma, aging, something else?

Eyelid ectropion causing watery eyes

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The lower eyelid is responsible for pumping the tears into the nose. When the lower eyelid is loose/weak, called ectropion, then the lower eyelid doesn't pump the tears well and the tears stay around and come down your cheek. When ectropion is significant, then the lower eyelid is turned/rolled out.  Ectropion surgery involves tightening the lower eyelid via small incision in the lateral canthus (corner of the eye).  See an oculoplastic surgeon.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 91 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.