Hard lumps from Bellafill. Searching a 2nd opinion before cutting to remove the lumps. I need to find a Bellafill qualified dr.

5 months ago Dr Castellano injected the Bellafill permanent filler. I now have hard lumps. The Dr did not do a test beforehand as many on this site said is critical. I have been injected with a solution that was 'suppose' to dissolve the lumps. The Dr wants to cut me and pull out the lumps! I do not know where to get a 2nd opinion because surgeons in the Villages/Orlando have said that they have never heard of the filler and would never touch a 'permanent' filker. Where can I get a 2nd opinion?

Hard Lumps from Bellafill

I am sorry to hear that you are having this problem. I regularly see and deal with problems from Bellafill form around the country. I have used Bellafill since it first was available. It is a great filler or volume replacement in the right hands.

Bellafill is composed primarily of collagen and collagen will almost always make lumps that go away completely, in time. Lumps or bumps were a common complaint of patients who used to get collagen injections. The good news is that they all go away if you are patient enough. The 5 year study on Bellafill was just reviewed and approved by the FDA. This showed that any lumps or bumps that occurred with this filler were almost all gone by a year and that 12 out of over 1000 patients who were followed and had a lumps at a year did not have those lumps at 5 years.

Many physicians are worried about the PMMA particle but these only make up a total of 0.1cc in each syringe, are negatively charged so they will not clump and are all 40 microns in size (about the size of a single cell). All of the lumps that have been examined pathologically have shown that they are simply scar. Scars usually will respond to an injection of a steroid called Kenalog that often needs to be repeated on monthly intervals until the scars softens and settles in volume.

The first question I would ask is are you lumps visible? If they are not then I encourage you to be patient. If they are then I would encourage you to seek a second opinion by someone who has extensive experience with this product. Check the Suneva Medical website for providers of Bellafill in your area and then check their credentials with respect to Bellafill.

I hope that helps.

Best regards.

Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

Removal of Artefill and Bellafill

Complications from Bellafill and Artefill are quite common and our office specializes in the removal of these fillers, if possible. 

Dr. Karamanoukian
Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Issues with Bellafill

Bellafill, in it's previous life was known as Artefill and in Europe/ Canada for years as Artecoll.  The permanent component of Bellafill is polymethylmethacrylate (PMMA) which the body cannot absorb, nor can it be dissolved.  This is one of the major concerns that some of us have about this product.  The face ages, but the PMMA does not and can cause issues years down the road. These "lumps" may be related to a sensitivity to bovine collagen or to the PMMA. If you continue to have these areas of inflammation, your Doctor is correct that surgical removal may be indicated. 

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sorry for your issues But"BELLAFILL" is a semi permanent filler and there is NO injection to dissolve it! Only excision will help...///