How long should I stay out of work after a mommy makeover? I'm a hairstylist and am on my feet all day

I'm strong and healthy. Run and weight train regularly

Recovery Time

I normally recommend for patients to wait six weeks before returning to restriction-free activity after their #mommymakeover surgery.  You don't want to risk your results by walking around on your feet all day in the salon!
Be patient and take it easy.  See what your #boardcertified plastic surgeon recommends.

How long should I stay out of work after a mommy makeover?

Recovery after “mommy makeover” surgery will differ from one patient to another.  Assuming you are returning a desk job (and a tummy tuck is part of the mommy makeover surgery), I think you should plan on a minimum of 3-4 weeks off.   I would suggest that you be prepared to go back to work on a more part-time basis and/or schedule additional time off, depending on how you are feeling at that time.  If your occupations more strenuous, additional time off will be necessary.  Time estimations less than this are overpromising, in my opinion.

Of course, your plastic surgeon will be the will be your best resource during your postoperative course, given that he/she knows exactly what was done, how you are progressing, exactly what type of activities you plan on returning to.  

Since you considering undergoing a major operation which often involves a significant physical and emotional recovery ( often underestimated by surgeons and patients alike), a few words of advice may be helpful:

1. Make sure you are doing the procedure for the right reasons (for yourself) and that you have realistic expectations. Be aware that an improvement in the “problem area” may not translate to an overall improvement in your life situation. You are bound to be disappointed with results of the procedure if your motivation for doing the surgery is not internally driven. 2. Time your surgery carefully; generally, it is not a good idea to have surgery done during or immediately after a stressful period in life (for example divorce or death of a loved one). The additional stress of surgery will undoubtedly be more challenging to deal with if a patient's emotional reserves our already exhausted. Remember, that an improvement in your physical appearance will not translate to an improvement in your life situation. 3. If possible speak to patients who have undergone similar procedures and query them about the toughest times of their recovery period. Any practical hints previous patients can provide may be very helpful. 4. Make sure you are aware of potential complications that may arise how to reach your surgeon if necessary. 5. Make sure you have a strong and patient support system (several people if possible) in place who have time/patience to take care of you. Arrange for professional nursing if any doubt exists regarding the availability and/or stamina of your caretakers. 6. Be patient with the healing process, understanding that it will take several weeks to months to feel “normal” again. It may also take many months/year to see the end results of your surgery. 7. Be prepared to distract your mind with things of interest such as books, magazines, and movies. 8. Expect less of yourself; do not go back to work, school or chores too early and let others take care of you (for a change). 9. Pick your surgeon carefully (a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon) and trust in his/her advice. Keep in close communication with your surgeon and do not hesitate to communicate questions/concerns and the emotional swings that you may experience. 10. Resume all medications that you were using preoperatively when cleared by your plastic surgeon and stop the use of narcotics and sedatives as soon as feasible after surgery. 11. Keep in mind the end results as you go through the tougher emotional times after your surgery. I hope this, and the attached link, helps. Best wishes. 

Length of time out of work depends on the procedure - but I think you will need to set aside three to four weeks if you have a job that requires physical activity all day.

David A. Lickstein, MD
Palm Beach Gardens Plastic Surgeon

Mommy makeover recovery

Recovery varies person to person, but based on your occupation I would expect you would need 3-4 weeks before returning to work.  If you are able, it may be better if you started the first couple of weeks back on a part time basis versus not working and them returning full time.  Do not be surprised if you are swollen at the end of your work day for the first few weeks, especially with the amount of time you spend on your feet.  This will improve gradually.  Best of luck!

Camille Cash, MD

Ask surgeon but usually about 6 weeks

If you’re on your feet all day, you might want to wait at least 6 weeks before returning to work, especially if you’ve had a tummy tuck. However, you should ask your surgeon as they’ll be able to give you a more definitive answer based on your surgery and needs.

Dr derby

I would recommend you to wait at least 5-6 weeks after a mommy makeove before returning to a physical challenging job. Best of luck and take your time to recuperate well

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Rest and recovery after mommy makeover

A combined tummy tuck and breast augmentation and or lift induces a significant amount of strain on the body. It is important to allow the body to heal postoperatively. The first few days you will feel very tired and sore especially when you get out of bed. It is very important to walk and move around several times a day even early in the recovery process in order to prevent blood clots. I use Exparel a long lasting (72 hour pain relief) anesthetic injected into the breasts and abdomen at the time of surgery to help decrease the need for oral pain medication. Additionally, a drainless tummy tuck allows you to move about more freely with less pain after surgery.
Since you are on your feet most of the day I would suggest trying to ease into returning to work after 10-12 days depending upon how you feel. You will probably be tired by the end of the day and have a bit of swelling around the lower abdomen early on which is normal.

Christine Hamori, MD

After a mommy makeover you should have a respite of at least 3 weeks so that you will be more comfortable when you return to the workforce. 

Mommy Makeover /Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/Tummy Tuck/Liposuction/BBL

I appreciate your question. I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you will be healing following surgery. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon

Time off work

To return to a desk job, 7-10 days is generally doable. For you to be up on your feet and using your arms all day I would suggest at least 3 weeks. You want to avoid doing anything that engages use of your core muscles for 6 weeks and lifting anything heavy may cause this. Be sure to speak to your surgeon about his post operative recommendations. Don't rush back to work. Your body needs time to recover after a big surgery like you are having. Best wishes.
Dean Vistnes, M.D.
Vistnes Plastic Surgery
San Francisco Bay Area

#drdeanvistnes #realself #mommymakeover

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon