When rubbing my eye, for example when taking off eye make up, am I massaging out the juvederm in tear troughs?

I have had juvederm for tear troughs injected about 2 months ago, and I was wondering if you can rub out the product when taking off your eye make up or just rubbing your eyes when they itch ? is it possible that after 2 months I already need a touch up ?

When rubbing my eye am I massaging out the JVD in tear troughs?

Thank you for your excellent question.  Because filler material becomes incorporated into your body's tissues it is not possible to massage out the product with rubbing your eyes or removing makeup.  If appropriately treated at the initial appointment most patients do not need a touch up for approximately 6 months.  Hope this helps.

Juvederm in tear troughs

The filler has incorporated into the tissues by now so there is no way of massaging it out when you wipe off your eye makeup.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Juvederm in tear troughs

Hello, and thanks for your question. Lightly removing your make-up should not affect the filler at all. Depending on the product used (I typically prefer Restylane), I find that most individuals require more volume every 6-12 months. If you already feel as though you need a touch-up you likely were underrated to begin with, or you're quickly metabolizing the HA. Best of luck, Dr. Frucht.  

Corey Frucht, MD, PhD
Santa Barbara Dermatologic Surgeon

Tear trough filler "rubbing"

It is not recommended that you rub this are vigorously. After about a week, it is fully integrated into your tissues and is hard to move at that point. I don't recommend Juvederm for this area because it causes prolonged edema in some cases. Most people require tough ups every 6-12 months. I use Restylane for this.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Thanks for your query.Juvederm is placed deep near bone when doing the tear trough area so light massaging and removal of make up wont disturb it. Hope it helps.
All The Best

Ajaya Kashyap, MD
India Plastic Surgeon

Can rubbing the eyelid remove injected Juvederm

Thank you for sharing your question. Normal rubbing of your eyelids will not cause the filler to migrate or dissolve. Excessive rubbing can cause it to dissapate more rapidly. I hope this helps.  Good luck, 

Tear Trough Fillers -- Try Cannulas, Voluma/Belotero/Restylane

You cannot "rub" the filler out of position unless it was immediately after injection. The filler integrates into the tissue and absorbs water.  If you are concerned please see an expert.  Best, Dr. Emer.