Can I drink whey protein shakes after BA surgery?

Are protein shakes safe to drink after surgery? I have whey protein at home due to regular gym visits, but I was wondering if there are any surgeons who don't suggest it? I will also be asking my surgeon this Monday.

Protein Shakes After Surgery

Our office recommends that our patients take 100 grams of protein per day in the healing phase for the first six weeks following surgery.  You and your plastic surgeon can discuss specific brands.Kenneth B. Hughes, MDBoard Certified Plastic SurgeonLos Angeles, CA 90066

Protein Supplements

Thank you for your question. Generally, protein itself shouldn't negatively affect your healing but many Plastic Surgeons will want you to avoid all supplements and medications which could affect your bleeding. I recommend that you ask your Plastic Surgeon to review and approve this for you.
All the best

Thank you for your photo and question.  I would recommend checking with your plastic surgeon.  However, protein after surgery does aid in wound healing.  Always best to check with your surgeon though.  Best of luck to you!

Chad Robbins, MD

Protein shakes

Hello, I think it is wise to check with your surgeon as you have planned.  In general a protein supplement shouldn't have an adverse effect on a surgical procedure, but your surgeon can check the other ingredients to make sure that there is nothing that could affect normal blood clotting or wound healing.

Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question. I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you will be healing following surgery. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon #RealSelf100Surgeon

Diet after surgery

I would be concerned about anything that would increase constipation, because that is already going to be a problem with pain medications after surgery. Otherwise, can't think of a reason to limit protein shakes. Best of luck with your surgery!

Protein shakes after BA surgery?

Hello and thank you for your question. Yes, you can have protein shakes after your surgery. That should be fine. Best of luck with your recovery.Dr. Benjamin J. Cousins MD Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Benjamin J. Cousins, MD
Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon

Protein supplementation after surgery

Sure! I would recommend you hold off the day of surgery and maybe the day after.  after GA, the GI system does slow down a bit.  also taking narcotics slows the GI system too.  and you are more likely to get bloated (common with whey protein regardless).  no problem with surgery itself. just a side effect I've noticed with my athletes.  Hope that helps and best wishes! Dr. Morales ABPS Board Certified Houston, Tx

Rolando Morales Jr, MD

Can I drink whey protein shakes after BA surgery

Thank you for your question. Balanced diet is the key for anything. You can drink protein shakes after surgery, but pl let your surgeon know.

Nutritional support

Key factors in the healing of any wound are nutrition and vitamin supplements.  There are specially formulated vitamins that are designed to optimize your healing that we use from Vitamedica.  In addition, we use Arnica and Bromelian to reduce the swelling and bruising.  Before and after surgery, nutrition is a key component that is overlooked by almost every patient and surgeon.  After the operation, your calorie and protein requirements are increased.  We design a nutritional regimen for each patient which is provided to them during the preoperative teaching.  In order to meet the calorie and protein requirements after surgery, the patients typically supplement using protein shakes.  Calorie and protein intake are recorded on a log that we provide and review at the postoperative visits.  The combination of homeopathic medicines, vitamins supplementation, and adequate calorie and protein intake are critical to the wound healing process.  Prior to surgery, we ask the patients to stop all of their own supplements as some can cause problems with bleeding during and after surgery.