Difference Between Vaginal Rejuvenation with Laser and Without Laser?

What is the difference (besides price) between laser vaginal rejuvenation and vaginal rejuvenation done without the laser technology?

Are lasers worth it?

A laser is an elegant and expensive cutting/scroling tool.  It is a fine tool.  So is a radiofrequency needle (similar to laser, but different wavelength.)  So is a specialized plastic surgery scissors or a scalpel.

It is more the hand holding the tool than the tool itself.

That said (surgeon most important) laser and radiofrequency (RF) are elegant upgrades and help a good surgeon be even better...

Vaginal Rejuvenation" is an akward term that means different things to different persons.  If you click the "web reference" attached to this answer you will land on a blog I wrote on "perineoplasty" (plastic repair of the opening plus suture elevation of the perineal body and vulvar vestibule.)  Add a vaginoplasty to this and you have so-called "vaginal rrejuvenation."  BUT-- some docs consider the difference between vaginoplasty and Vag rejuv to be the addition of a labiaplasty.  This nomenclature is a mess.

Good luck!

Michael P Goodman MD

Laser labiaplasty with laser incision causes less bleeding, does not require tissue clamping-more gentle

I have used laser incisions exclusively for the most delicate eyelid plastic surgery operations for the past 15 years.

The delicate labial tissues require the same care, which is why i use the laser labiaplasty technique.

Because the laser seals -closes-many small blood vessels during the incision bleeding is less and thus traumatic clamping of the tissues (which causes a crush injury) is not required. Less trauma and less bleeding means quicker recovery and healing.

Many studies in the past 15 years have proven that the laser incision is less traumatic and produces less scarring than traditional scalpel incisions.

Laser incisions are most useful in delicate thin tissues such as the eyelid and the labia. Thus in labiaplasty, the laser has a definite advantage.

I only perform laser labiaplasty-I would not use a scalpel and clamp on these delicate tisssues.

Vaginal Rejuvenation with Laser and Without Laser.

The answer to your question is nothing. There are no clinical differences in healing time, bleeding, complication rates or anything else that have been shown in the literature. Using the laser is a tool that some surgeons like to utilize to cut tissue however, a number of other tools work just as well in achieving the desired outcome. My suggestion to you is to find an experienced surgeon that you are comfortable with and let them guide you in your decision making.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

Rejuvenation with Laser and Without Laser

With the availability of recent technology, there are few nonsurgical vaginal rejuvenation options available for our patients. CO2 fractionated lasers include the FemiLift, MonaLisa Touch and IntimaLase. The ThermiVa as radiofrequency energy that can also treat the outer Labia to reduce and tighten this area. It can increase blood flow, sensitivity , and orgasm. It can increase moisture and decreasestress urinary incontinence for many women.

PRP ( Platelet Rich Plasma ) can be added to these procedures which may make a difference in the outcome. It can be injected into the vaginal mucosa to increase circulation and vaginal health , O-shot.PRP can also be used for a “G” Shot which is injected into the G-spot.
Costs for non-surgical laser vaginal rejuvenation are approximately 3000 - for 3 sessions.Twice yearly or yearly follow up treatments are recommended to maintain vaginal health.If PRP is being added there is an additional $1000-1200 per treatment session.

However, surgery is the most common treatment. Each procedure is customized to the physical findings as well as the desired goals of the patient. There is no one right solution for all patients, but there is a solution for every woman.
I perform a variety of treatments and surgeries to enhance, restore and rejuvenate the female genital region. This includes procedures to improve moisture, sensitivity and tighten the vaginal canal; which can enhance orgasm and restore or improve the appearance of the vulva. This includes the labia minora, labia majora, the clitoral region and the vestibule of the vagina. When necessary and capable, a vaginoplasty may be combined with a #Labiaplasty. Or, if the outer labia or labia majora may also be excessively large, uneven, or may be too small, the size may be increased with fat injections.

Updated - Vaginal Rejuvenation with and without Lasers

The answer to this question has changed drastically over the past few years. The invention, testing and FDA approval of vaginal laser therapy since 2013 have provided women with an entirely new category of treatments to optimize vaginal health.

The difference between non-laser and laser vaginal rejuvenation is that non-laser vaginal rejuvenation is an elective surgical procedure using a radio frequency (Ellman) device or an electric scalpel (Bovie).  Some physicians also use a diode 980 laser to make their incisions. This is the best option for women experiencing significant vaginal relaxation and/or pelvic organ prolapse. 

Since 2015 the updated definition for laser vaginal rejuvenation involves the use of CO2 (carbon dioxide) or radio frequency vaginal lasers. These lasers are best utilized by women with mild vaginal relaxation without pelvic organ prolapse. These lasers can also address vaginal atrophy, dryness, painful intercourse, sexual dysfunction and urge incontinence. 

Hope this helps - Cheers!

Understanding your options for vaginal rejuvenation

With surgical tightening, an incision is made in the vaginal wall and sutures are used to tighten the vagina. Non-surgical vaginal tightening is not performed with traditional lasers, however, radiofrequency or heat energy can be used for vaginal tightening as well as to improve the appearance of the external genitalia. This procedure known as “Thermi-Va” uses warm heat energy or radiofrequency energy to stimulate collagen and cause tissue tightening. The amount of energy and the temperature of the treated area is continuously monitored to insure patient comfort while delivering an adequate amount of energy or warmth to cause the collagen fibers to retract and remodel and therefore tighten skin. The treatment is safe and effective and is performed in the privacy of the office of the trusted board-certified physican you choose for your procedure.

Camille Cash, MD

Vaginal rejuvenation: tightening with laser vs Surgery

Vaginal looseness or laxity is very common after childbirth. Traditional treatment requires surgery to repair the stretched out pelvic floor muscles. This is a painful procedure requiring anesthesia and has a 4-6 week recovery. New non invasive laser treatments are now available to tighten the vagina, increase lubricatiion and improve sexual satisfaction. Several laser and RF modalities exist such as FemLift, ThermiVa and Mona Lisa. Each involves the application of heat inside and around the vaginal opening to tighten skin and mucosa (moist intra vaginal skin).  The treatments are PAINLESS and can be done in the office by your doctor. 3-5 sessions are usually necessary for best results.

Labiaplasty or reduction of the labia majora may be performed with laser or RF depending on the patient's anatomy and degree of labial exces. There is no benefit that I have seen between the two types of approaches. 

Christine Hamori, MD

Laser vs no laser vaginal rejuvenation

There is just a difference in the technique used to cut and cauterize the tissues- one with laser, one without. I personally do not use a laser device during this procedure and feel that my patients get nice results with the wedge excision technique. The important thing to do is pick the procedure based upon the right & qualified surgeon to do the job not necessarily the device or marketing tactic used to sell it. Good luck!

Laser = Gimmick most often.

Except in very specialized circumstances the use of a laser in surgery is more often than not a gimmick. Using a laser to cut the tissue in Labiaplasty offers very little to improve the outcome in my opinion. I have been performing Labiaplasty for nearly ten years and haven't found the need to use a laser yet.

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Laser vaginal rejuvanation

Laser is used as the knife. LVR is a GIMICK. Laser means latest technology, therefore it is good... NOT SO.

Dr. Matlock, the doctor who has been pushing for LVR charges $50,000 for his course. Laser is just a tool; many times, the knife is a better tool.