Difference Between Vaginal Rejuvenation with Laser and Without Laser?

What is the difference (besides price) between laser vaginal rejuvenation and vaginal rejuvenation done without the laser technology?

Are lasers worth it?

A laser is an elegant and expensive cutting/scroling tool.  It is a fine tool.  So is a radiofrequency needle (similar to laser, but different wavelength.)  So is a specialized plastic surgery scissors or a scalpel.

It is more the hand holding the tool than the tool itself.

That said (surgeon most important) laser and radiofrequency (RF) are elegant upgrades and help a good surgeon be even better...

Vaginal Rejuvenation" is an akward term that means different things to different persons.  If you click the "web reference" attached to this answer you will land on a blog I wrote on "perineoplasty" (plastic repair of the opening plus suture elevation of the perineal body and vulvar vestibule.)  Add a vaginoplasty to this and you have so-called "vaginal rrejuvenation."  BUT-- some docs consider the difference between vaginoplasty and Vag rejuv to be the addition of a labiaplasty.  This nomenclature is a mess.

Good luck!

Michael P Goodman MD

Are lasers worth it?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Good luck!

Michael P Goodman MD

Vaginal Rejuvenation Laser vs Surgical?

Hello Andy2143,

The difference between vagina rejuvenation with and without laser is, without laser it is done surgically by cutting and tightening the tissue by restitching. Patients may return to work in 4-6 weeks. No intercourse for 6 weeks. 

By using a laser for vaginal rejuvenation such as Fem Touch, there is no cutting, the laser will shrink the tissue by using heat which stimulates collagen production and fibroblasts that are part of the connective tissue. This is a painless and bloodless procedure, with little down time. It is done in a series of 3-4 treatments, spaced 6-8 weeks apart.

Sohila Zarandy, MD
Ladera Ranch OB/GYN

Vaginal Rejuvenation Laser vs Surgical?

Hello Andy2143,

Sohila Zarandy, MD
Ladera Ranch OB/GYN

Non-surgical vaginal rejuvenation is now possible without surgery

Good afternoon and thank you for your question. You may be a viable candidate for non-surgical vaginal rejuvenation with ThermiVa, which uses newer radio-frequency technology to gently heat the vaginal tissue in a series of 3 easy treatments that require no downtime and no anesthesia. Contact a Board Certified ThermiVa provider in your area for an individualized consultation.

Rejuvenation with Laser and Without Laser

With the availability of recent technology, there are few nonsurgical vaginal rejuvenation options available for our patients. CO2 fractionated lasers include the FemiLift, MonaLisa Touch and IntimaLase. The ThermiVa as radiofrequency energy that can also treat the outer Labia to reduce and tighten this area. It can increase blood flow, sensitivity , and orgasm. It can increase moisture and decreasestress urinary incontinence for many women.

PRP ( Platelet Rich Plasma ) can be added to these procedures which may make a difference in the outcome. It can be injected into the vaginal mucosa to increase circulation and vaginal health , O-shot.PRP can also be used for a “G” Shot which is injected into the G-spot.
Costs for non-surgical laser vaginal rejuvenation are approximately 3000 - for 3 sessions.Twice yearly or yearly follow up treatments are recommended to maintain vaginal health.If PRP is being added there is an additional $1000-1200 per treatment session.

However, surgery is the most common treatment. Each procedure is customized to the physical findings as well as the desired goals of the patient. There is no one right solution for all patients, but there is a solution for every woman.
I perform a variety of treatments and surgeries to enhance, restore and rejuvenate the female genital region. This includes procedures to improve moisture, sensitivity and tighten the vaginal canal; which can enhance orgasm and restore or improve the appearance of the vulva. This includes the labia minora, labia majora, the clitoral region and the vestibule of the vagina. When necessary and capable, a vaginoplasty may be combined with a #Labiaplasty. Or, if the outer labia or labia majora may also be excessively large, uneven, or may be too small, the size may be increased with fat injections.

Laser labiaplasty with laser incision causes less bleeding, does not require tissue clamping-more gentle

I have used laser incisions exclusively for the most delicate eyelid plastic surgery operations for the past 15 years.

The delicate labial tissues require the same care, which is why i use the laser labiaplasty technique.

Because the laser seals -closes-many small blood vessels during the incision bleeding is less and thus traumatic clamping of the tissues (which causes a crush injury) is not required. Less trauma and less bleeding means quicker recovery and healing.

Many studies in the past 15 years have proven that the laser incision is less traumatic and produces less scarring than traditional scalpel incisions.

Laser incisions are most useful in delicate thin tissues such as the eyelid and the labia. Thus in labiaplasty, the laser has a definite advantage.

I only perform laser labiaplasty-I would not use a scalpel and clamp on these delicate tisssues.

Updated - Vaginal Rejuvenation with and without Lasers

The answer to this question has changed drastically over the past few years. The invention, testing and FDA approval of vaginal laser therapy since 2013 have provided women with an entirely new category of treatments to optimize vaginal health.

The difference between non-laser and laser vaginal rejuvenation is that non-laser vaginal rejuvenation is an elective surgical procedure using a radio frequency (Ellman) device or an electric scalpel (Bovie).  Some physicians also use a diode 980 laser to make their incisions. This is the best option for women experiencing significant vaginal relaxation and/or pelvic organ prolapse. 

Since 2015 the updated definition for laser vaginal rejuvenation involves the use of CO2 (carbon dioxide) or radio frequency vaginal lasers. These lasers are best utilized by women with mild vaginal relaxation without pelvic organ prolapse. These lasers can also address vaginal atrophy, dryness, painful intercourse, sexual dysfunction and urge incontinence. 

Hope this helps - Cheers!

Hope this helps - Cheers!

Laser and ThermiVa are not the same thing

A laser is a device which emits energy at a particular wavelength and, in the case of vaginal rejuvenation, delivers energy to vaginal tissues causing shrinkage and tightening. The ThermiVa uses radiofrequency to heat the tissues to allow for shrinkage. While we don't do laser vaginal rejuvenation, I can tell you that an overwhelming number of ThermiVa patients are thrilled with their results.

Laser Vaginal Rejuvenation

It used to be that laser vaginal rejuvenation referred to using lasers to cut skin and tissues during vaginal surgery.  They (lasers) were not a necessary part of the procedure and were only part of the hype because the how the rest of the surgery was designed and performed was more important.

Now - some companies have created lasers to place into the vaginal canal and produce tightening.  I dislike this procedure because you are using a laser to create little pin hole damage or burns throughout the tissue that will cause constriction for the resulting scar that is formed.  I PREFER more non invasive ways of producing identical results with ThermiVA.  It uses radiofrequency applied topically (ontop) of the tissue without creating holes, burns, or other damage.  It encourages tightening of the tissues with gentle heating and produces collagen formation that tightens tissue, improves bladder leakage, can tighten and shrink external labia minora and majora.  All this without any direct damage to the tissues.  Thats my 2 cents!

Laser Vaginal Rejuvenation

Vaginal tightening techniques and technology what is best?

The important thing to realize is that industry is aware of the growing attention to vaginal condition and it's connection to women's confidence and sexual pleasure in modern times.  There are many companies that are trying to capitalize on these concerns.  These "new technologies" exist not because they are efficacious or offer something beneficial but rather because there is an extremely profitable market.  These lasers claim to promote "vaginal health" without even qualifying what that statement means.  The most common draw is the concept of "vaginal tightening."  The thought is that coagulative contraction would cause shrinkage of the vaginal walls making a tighter vagina.  This simply doesn't work and if it did would cause big problems.  The important thing to understand is that the vagina does not naturally get tightness from its lining.  During climax the vagina can open up significantly and there is enough surface area of lining in a young and tight vagina to allow a baby through.  Vaginal tightness comes from muscular sling and soft tissue.  Laxity can be attributed to both less tone and less soft tissue from atrophy.  Attempts to directly tighten the vagina like excisional vaginoplasty almost invariably lead the to pain with intercourse.  If we were able to tighten the vagina with a laser the result would be similar.  Many techniques toughted to tighten the vagina are simply caustic agents that irritate and inflame the vagina which leads to dryness that can feel like tightening but a dry vagina is not a good thing.  I recommend staying away from these technologies.  I perform vaginoplasty in my practice by directly addressing the problem-soft tissue atrophy.  I use a special technique of fat grafting to pad, soften and tighten the vaginal walls.  I also use this technique to lower the g-spot so it is more engaged in penetrative intercourse dramatically increasing pleasure and orgasmic potential.  Patients report much more pleasurable sex for both partners, increased intensity and frequency of orgasms and improved lubrication.  The procedure is commonly combined with a MACIE-labiaplasty.  Stay away from lasers and incisions in your vagina!  I hope this helps!

Rian A. Maercks M.D.

Rian A. Maercks M.D.

Vaginal rejuvenation has come full circle!

Great Question! Lasers work by causing small injuries to the tissue and when it heals... it heals tighter.  Radiofrequency works by heating the tissue gently and uniformly breaking the collagen bonds in the vaginal tissue, and when they repair.. you get vaginal tightening.  Since there is no tiny holes in the vaginia, there is truly no downtime with the radiofrequency.  With the BTL Ultrafemme 360, you can go home and have intercourse the same night.  It also works extremely fast. It is inside and out tightening!  And, no more waiting weeks to feel a difference!  Its less expensive too.  So for our patients, the choice was easy... the BTL Ultrafemme 360 all the way!