Will tape around breasts help lift after dual plane augmentation?

I'm post op day 3 following dual plane BA with sientra 415 cc round implants. Post-op, both breasts were taped circumferentially with thick waterproof tape that creates a cone shape. I was told this is to facilitate a lift with healing (had modest level 1 ptosis or even pseudo ptosis). The tape is to remain for 3 weeks. I am wondering if this sort of bandaging is common to help create an "internal lift?" What benefits does it provide?

Taping following Breast Augmentation/Lift

You will find that all surgeons have their own particular recipe as to what to do intra-opeartively and post-operatively. Taping the beasts following this type of procedure can be done for  a number of purposes. I have on occasion taped the inframammary fold following a particurlaly difficult re-do in which the IMF has been previously displaced upwards or downwards. Taping helps to protect and re-enforce what I have done internally in order to correct a previous asymmetrical fold. Sometimes the tapes are applied to help shape the pocket. Whatever the case may be, taping for that period of time will allow the casule to form and be stabilized during the process.

Taping after breast augmentation

Thank you for your inquiry about your taping of your breasts after breast augmentation.

Every plastic surgeon has his/her individual approach and it is often individual for each patient.

I do tape some surgeries although rarely breasts. You should follow your plastic surgeon's instructions.
However I have been tape cause severe pain after a week or so on the skin.
If this occurs, you must contact your plastic surgeon to discuss is early removal.

Taping after Breast Augmentation to try and lift breast

I personally have never used this technique to lift the breast in a primary (1’st time) breast augmentation.Although I haven’t had to do this, I could see myself perhaps taping the lower breast if I felt I had created a pocket that was too low.I have used taping of the lower breast for secondary (ie after the first time) breast augmentation patients that had implants sitting too low (also called ‘bottoming out’) and needed the lower breast fold raised.The tape is used to reinforce the surgical repair.

Taping breasts after Dual Plane Breast Augmentation

Your long term result is most affected by the internal work and selection of appropriate implant.  External taping is a less powerful technique, but can sometimes help turn a good result into a great result.  

Jason Mussman, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Tape around breasts lift after dual plane technique

Taping of incisions and the breast are part of what is termed the "art of medicine".  Many of us do it.  This is a good question as for me and my practice, I have gone from taping all incisions to improve the scar to taping few incisions, but taping the breasts for revisions only.  The less taped used, the less blistering and more clean the incisions (since you can look at them, keep them clean, dry them etc.)

It is unclear to me if the tape itself will improve a breast augmentation in one with pseudoptosis.  Your surgeon will be willing to explain the use and inquire about removing the tape.

Peter J. Capizzi, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Taping after Breast Augmentation

It is very important that you follow the instructions and advice of your plastic surgeon and follow his/her protocols. Although I do not tape my breast augmentations, I do not see how it would cause any harm.  You should be careful that irritation does not occur.  If it does contact your surgeon right away. Good luck.

Peter Bridge, MD
Brandon Plastic Surgeon

Taking of the breasts after breast lift probably has no useful role

A good support bra is a better option than taping the breast, in my opinion.  Follow your Plastic Surgeon's instructions for your post op care.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Taping after dual plane surgery

As you trusted your surgeon to do your surgery, you should also trust his post operative instructions. Many surgeons do things differently, and usually there is no clear evidence that one way is better than another. But since this seems to work for your surgeon, I would advise against accepting advice from surgeons who have never seen you.

All the best. 

Taping after Breast Augmentation

Taping breasts after surgery sounds good but actually does little to nothing to give you an internal lift.  I would follow your surgeon's advice.  He or she knows what works for them.

Earl Stephenson, Jr, MD, DDS,FACS

Tape around breasts after dual plane augmentation

It is very important that you follow the instructions and advice of your plastic surgeon.  Every plastic surgeon has their own different techniques for attempting to redrape the breast after a dual plane breast augmentation.  I am sure your plastic surgeon is doing for you what has worked for other patients in the past.  Watch your skin carefully because in some cases when tape is left on the skin longer than a few days blisters can occur.  If you notice blistering and redness its important to see your plastic surgeon immediately.