Which Implant profile would look best for my body type? (Photos)

I am 23 years old, 5'6 and 117 pounds. I am currently at a 32 A but am wanting to be a full C. I have been to a few consultations that recommended a moderate or moderate plus profile implant, but the doctor I am most comfortable with is suggesting an ultra high profile implant no larger than 350 cc. I am worried that these will cause too much projection and look too fake so I would like more opinions on what would be best for me

Which Implant profile would look best for my body type?

Thank you for your question. If you have small or asymmetrical  breasts then and you are not happy for this situation; then you can be a good candidate for breast augmentation operation. As it was also mentioned above,  small breast can be something that woman might want change. However choosing the right operation is the most important step in the planning of the operation. Therefore understanding the needs and the expectation of the patient is the most important thing and it needs a successful evaluation.

Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Will an ultra high profile implant be my best choice for breast augmentation?

The best implant profile for each patient is the one that enhances the volume of the breast without adding to the width of the chest and yet still gives you the volume that you want.

In other words no one can really answer that question for you except yourself.

Thank you for posting your photo because that helps tremendously. By your photo I can tell that you are a petite woman. I am assuming that you want to continue looking thin and petite and therefore you have to be very careful with the width of the implant you are selecting. I completely disagree with your base width measurement on the diagram that you posted (assuming that I am reading the measurements correctly). Using an implant that wide will completely change your overall look and you will feel heavy or chubby.

I'm sure that you have heard from a number of doctors NOT to use an ultra high profile implant because they project too much. Each of those opinions is based on bias or misconceptions and not on data. So let me present some data to support the case of using an ultra high profile implant that no one will be able to argue against.

An extra high profile implant has a base width of 10.1 (meaning that your surgeon probably measured you at 9 cm) and a projection of 5.2 cm. That is the largest implant you could use in the ultra high profile projection.  Using your base width measurement of 13 cm from the above diagram (which I once again strongly disagree with) the largest implant that you could use in a moderate profile implant would be a 420 cc implant which has a base of 14 cm (meaning you were measured at 13 cm) and a projection of 3.8 cm (there could be some minor differences between the 2 main implant manufacturers but I am using the Natrelle measurements for the data on the moderate and moderate plus). The largest implant in the moderate plus would be a 492 cc that has a base of 14 cm and a projection of 4.6 cm.  Now, with these measurements answer the following question: Do you want your breasts to project forward or do you want your breasts to projects sideways and forward?

We are talking about using implants 1.5 inches wider than the ultra high profile implants in both cases, but projecting only 3/16 to 1/2 less than the ultra high profile implants.  The difference in how wide the implants are is staggering and will completely change how your entire body looks. The difference in how much the implants project is very small, so really the mod and mod plus implants project nearly the same amount.  This comparison could be done specifically with the implants you sized into at the other doctors offices to get the exact difference.

When it comes down to it, you feel more comfortable with the doctor for a reason -- and I tell my patients frequently that above all you have to feel good about your choice.

Good luck with your decision!

Richard H. Fryer, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Implant profile for a breast augmentation

Different breast implant companies call different projecting implants by different names. The real key is to get the amount of volume you want for your augmentation to fit on your chest wall without going under your arms. 

Whether that is a high or ultra high or a moderate plus depends on the implant company that your surgeon uses. Take with your surgeon and be confident of your choices prior to undergoing surgery.

Good luck!

Ryan Hoffman, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Implant profile

Hello, when choosing implants, their profile is just one factor that influences the final result.  Whether they will look very natural or more "augmented" depends on the amount of breast tissue and shape of the breasts, the implant shape and other factors. If you are still unsure about the profile you could ask your surgeon why they feel this particular implant is the best fit for your body type.

Implnat size

The best way to pick implant size is based on your breast and chest width and not the volume. As the implants get bigger, they get wider. When the width of the implant fits the width of your chest, it will look nice and fit your frame. If the implants are too small, you will have a gap between them and they may look too far apart. If they are too wide, they will make you look top heavy as they may be too wide and stick well out past the sides of your chest. There are ways to get a bigger or smaller look.This can be done by picking a different implant profile. The higher the profile, the narrower the base width of the implant. If someone has a very narrow chest and wants to be big, they should consider a higher profile implant. If someone has a broad chest and they do not want to be too big but want to avoid the gap and still have cleavage without projection, they should consider a lower profile implant such as a moderate. There are options in between these such as the moderate plus. I prefer the underarm approach so there is no scar on your breast. The new silicone is the only way to go as far a rippling as the new silicone ripples much less than saline, especially in the larger implants. I personally prefer the smooth round implants under the muscle placed through the under arm to give you the most natural look and feel. This also leaves no scar on your breast.

I would caution you against the ultra high with your chest, they will look very round like baseballs under you skin.

Dr Scott Ennis   

Picking and implant profile

Thank you for your question and for attaching photos. Choosing the best implant size is based on a number of factors including measurements, quality of the skin and the desired outcome. The base diameter is the most important measurement. From there, you can choose the profile based on the desired volume. My opinion is the 350cc may be a bit too large for you for your desired goal. This being said the number one complaint is "I wish I went larger". It also looks like your base diameter is 13cm, so a moderate plus silicone gel in the 275cc to 300cc range will be in the 12cm range. This being said, in your picture it appears your base diameter is more narrow than 13cm, but without an exam that is difficult to tell. You could consider a shaped implant as well. There are several options and it appears you have seen a few different surgeons. If you were most comfortable with the 3rd, my suggestion would be to return to their office for further discussion about size. Good luck to you.

Implant profile

Hello and thank you for your question. You are a great candidate for a breast augmentation.  The size, profile, and shape of the implant is based on your desired breast size/shape, your chest wall measurements, and soft tissue quality.  This decision should be based on a detailed discussion with equal input from both you and your surgeon.  This entire surgery can be performed with a small incision technique.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.  

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Keep in mind that reviewing photographs is not the same thing as a face-to-face examination so my advice must be taken somewhat generally.  I would be encouraging you to avoid selecting an excessively large implant due to the risks of a double bubble or displacement or future thinning of your breasts.  A full C cup may not be readily achievable without stretching tissues to excess.  Consquently I would encourage you to think of a mid-plus profile implant with a goal of achieving a mid C cup or slightly more depending upon your history of pregnancies, weight shifts and the distensability of your skin and breast tissue.  I select the final implant during the performance of the procedure when I can test sizers and see the actual contour and shaping that I achieve before making the final implant selection.  I would be thinking of a range of implants between 280 and 360 mL just based on your photographs.  Most probably my selection would be in the lower range of those volumes.

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Breast Implant Sizing

Your surgeon has probably based his recommendation on your breast diameter/width only, and ignored your nipple to inframammary crease measurement.  A UHP 350 cc implant may fit into your breast width, but will be too large for your nipple to fold distance, possibly causing a number of post operative problems, including but not limited to top heavy breast with low nipples, double bubble, and visible rippling. I think that this implant is too large for you, but only an examination would confirm.  

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

The answer regarding which implant will depend on your goal look. The UHP is definitely a choice if you want an overly projecting surgical look. If you want a more natural look the Natrelle Inspira SRM or SRF would be my suggestion. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD