What exactly does the "fluff" mean in the term "Drop and Fluff"?

Dr. Melinda Haws MD answered my other question, and mentioned my implants would look better after they have had a chance to "drop and fluff". I've heard this term mentioned a few times before. I can understand the drop, but what exactly does the fluff mean?
To see the original question click here

Meaning of fluff

Thank you for the breast implant question.
  • 'Fluff" just means that the breast looks and feels normal.
  • This takes about 3 months after surgery.
  • It makes no sense to me either - but recently has become popular. Best wishes.

Do breasts look the same after dropping?

Two things happen and seem paradoxical. As as the swelling goes down there will be some shrinkage but at the same time as the muscle relaxes your breast projection grows. In general the breast shape and size proportionality improves..

Breast implants initially after surgery when placed in a submuscular position often give superior fullness that corrects itself with time, the "fluff and drop" phenomena. In reality the pectoralis major muscle takes a while to adjust its size to accommodate the implant as well as occasional muscle spasm which keeps the implant projection higher than its final resting shape. Additional variables include:laxity of skin, size difference during prior pregnancies, position of implant,size of muscle, and size of implant.
As the muscle relaxes the projection of the implant often increases and the breast shape improves. Massage and use of a superior placed elastic strap can often make this process go faster.

Dropping and "fluffing" defined.

After breast augmentation, there will always be some degree of tightness and surgical swelling, possibly slightly more with submuscular implant placement (most common location). As this swelling diminishes, and as the skin, breast, and muscular tissues stretch and accommodate the implants, implant position almost always drops to some degree (unless capsular contracture is occurring), and the breasts will become softer and more teardrop in appearance. This, of course, is highly dependent upon the age, breast-feeding history, weight gain-and-loss history, and natural elasticity and collagen content of each woman's breasts, not to mention whether or not the woman's muscles are those of a body-builder or a couch potato. This dropping, softening, and settling of implants and breast tissues apparently has been given the non-medical lay terminology "dropping and fluffing."

Until I saw this terminology used on this site, I actually thought "fluffing" was something done by female "assistants" to keep male porn actors "ready" for filming. So you won't catch me using this slang term for my augmentation patients. You really shouldn't either.

What happens as tissue soften and stretch (assuming you are not in the unfortunate group of patients who develop capsular contracture), is that the implants will assume a lower position on the chest wall, and will project outward slightly more as the muscular and skin tension covering the implants relaxes a bit. If surgery was precise and hemostasis meticulous, you will have had minimal swelling and bruising, and the stretch and drop can often be perceived as slight enlargement as the projection improves and pressure inward on the implants diminishes. Otherwise, if your swelling, bruising, and bleeding caused much more swelling, this gradually goes down and size and position reach their "final" appearance. This takes 6-12 months, not weeks.

Let's all agree to not use the term "fluff," shall we? Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Drop and fluff after breast augmentation

Thank you for your question.. Drop and fluff refers to post-operative period in which the breasts begin to descend and fills out the lower half of the breast. It may take several months for this to happen and can be encouraged with breast massage and compression. It may appear that the breast enlarges as the lower aspect of the breast fills out (at the expense of the upper portion of the breast)

The phenomenon of “dropping and fluffing” occurs several weeks to several months after breast augmentation surgery.  The breasts MAY appear larger as the implants "settle" lower on the chest wall. The nipple/areola complexes may also appear higher on the breast mounds as this occurs. Best wishes. 

"Drop and fluff"

This is a term that is only heard on internet breast surgery chat rooms, I think!
After 2-3 months post breast implant surgery, your tissues (muscle and skin) relax a bit.  The smooth implant can then gradually "drop" into its final position, and the tissues aren't quite so tight, so the breast shape looks more relaxed, less flat and more rounder (hence the "fluff")

All the best!

After several weeks your breasts will tend to "relax".

After several weeks your breasts will tend to "relax". This is the terminology that I use with  my patients. At first your breasts are very tight and rigid because of the increased volume and the swelling. After several weeks the tissue begins to accommodate the new volume and they "relax" and stop being so hard and firm.

Richard H. Fryer, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Fluffing After Breast Augmentation

"Fluffing" refers to the impression that the lower breast enlarges and that your skin softens with the creation of new tissues. The extent to which this occurs depends on several factors, including the implant size, the tightness of your skin, and your body shape.

Natural appearing breasts that feel as a breast

Although Dr. Haws answered your question previously, I will make an attempt to clear the "fluff" term of the breast after an implant procedure.   The fluff to me is that time, usually between 6-12 weeks, when a woman's breast after implant surgery becomes the shape, feel, and consistency with movement and activity that a native breast has prior to implants. With smooth implants there is definitely some descent, with the increasing use of textured implants, this is seen to a lesser extent.
Textured highly cohesive gel implants, much like the ones from Sientra, have the "one breast one feel", meaning it is harder to feel the implant separate from the breast itself.  Additionally it has the lowest profile for implant risk on the market.

Peter J. Capizzi, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Fluff

Its a weird term and I dont use it, basically people are saying you need to wait for the implant to stretch out your tissue which includes skin, fat and parenchyma of the breast. Once everything has stretched you will have a more rounded look, this is what they are referring too. I choose to use more medical terms and explanations