I had some hair loss after five days of my prp therapy.

After five days of my first session of prp therapy I felt I lost some hair in some parts of my head is that normal now it's been a month I haven't lost more but the situation didn't get any better! I still have two sessions left and I'm so concern about it is that normal? Thank you all

PRP alone for hair loss may help after awhile for short-term hair growth, but for long-term results a combination is much better

Thank you for your question. You state that several days after a platelet-rich plasma (PRP) injection for hair loss, you had some hair shedding, and a month later, you don’t see any improvement, and you have 2 more sessions left. You want to get some guidance if PRP treatment is of any benefit.

I can certainly give you some guidance with this question as a Board-certified cosmetic surgeon and Fellowship-trained oculofacial plastic and reconstructive surgeon. I am the founder of TrichoStem™ Hair Regeneration Centers that uses a system we developed in our practice with platelet-rich plasma (PRP) as well as a material called Acellular matrix to help men and women from around the world with pattern hair loss. I’ve been in practice for over 20 years and we use platelet-rich plasma (PRP) in our practice every day.

Understanding the role of platelet-rich plasma (PRP) with hair loss is probably helpful to you, even though I am sure this was explained by your doctor before you decided to have this treatment. I’ll tell you what has been, the experience of a lot of our patients who previously had platelet-rich plasma (PRP) done elsewhere, and my personal experience on how we use platelet-rich plasma (PRP) without the treatment called Hair Regeneration.

It is generally agreed in the hair loss treatment that platelet-rich plasma (PRP) has some benefit for hair loss, and articles have started to come out with objective data to support this. However, it has been my experience that platelet-rich plasma (PRP) alone for hair has a limited value. PRP does appear to have benefit as it can cause short-term growth of hair. However, long-term, as in a year after the injection, I don’t think it makes much of a difference. From patients who come to us for Hair Regeneration, they’ll state they have gone for platelet-rich plasma (PRP) treatment monthly, and around the 4th month, on average, they felt they didn’t know where the endpoint is, so the stop going, and learn about Hair Regeneration.

With our treatment, which we developed over several years based on a wound healing technology we used for hair transplant surgery, we are able to treat with a single treatment men and women with genetic pattern hair loss. We have 99% success defined by the simple criteria of stopping progression of hair loss, reactivating hair that is not growing, and inducing the shed of thinning hairs so that thicker hairs grow in. We follow our patients every 3 months, and we have years of data that show 5 years out, people are still not regressing.

Platelet-rich plasma (PRP) is a very useful treatment not only hair loss, but in the field of cosmetic medicine and cosmetic surgery. We use platelet-rich plasma (PRP) for: acne scars, under eye dark circles, for pigmentation issues, and other ways to help improve tissue, blood supply and collagen production. However, when it comes to hair loss, I don’t recommend platelet-rich plasma (PRP) as a standalone treatment. Now that doesn’t mean that the colleague who is recommending it is wrong. They may feel that in their hands, platelet-rich plasma (PRP) does have benefit which, with a certain schedule, may be of value to you. I don’t think you want to necessarily abandon hope.

Meet with your doctor again when you are ready for your next session, or maybe prior, and ask about the long-term benefit of PRP. Often people think all PRP is equal. And thanks to the time we have put in with Hair Regeneration, we are basically seeing a growing awareness because of the success. On top of that, the people we have treated, their friends, their family, and their network of awareness are also increasing. It is not just PRP alone, but platelet-rich plasma (PRP) plus Acellular matrix and other things that we do specific to TrichoStem™ Hair Regeneration. Don’t just stop your treatment, but talk to your doctor, learn about your options, learn more about alternatives and see what else make sense for your situation. I hope that was helpful, I wish you the best of luck and thank you for your question.

New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Hair loss after PRP? ENGLEWOOD Cliffs NJ

In my opinion, shock loss is rare after PRP. If any extra cellular matrix or foreign proteins were combined, the incidence increases. 5 days after treatment is early for shock loss. If minoxidil or qilib was added to the treatment, it is possible for the hair to be cycling. Consider waiting an additional month, it probably will decrease.

Jeffrey Rapaport, MD
Englewood Dermatologic Surgeon