Facelift - Will a temporal lift, lift the mid-face as well as the jawline?

Temporal Lift

A conventional temporal lift tends to have a very subtle result.  It is my opinion that temporal lifts are generally not worth the effort.  A proper brow lift where the focus is on the sides is a much more effective approach.  Certain types of lifts  done through a temporal incision will produce a midface lift, but these procedures tend to produce an unnatural look.  These procedures involve a sub-periosteal elevation of the tissues over the cheek bones.  Basically this means that the tissues are separated from the bone of the midface using a temple incision as the access point and then pulled up.

A temporal lift will have no affect on the jaw line.

Best Regards,
Dr. A 

Austin Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hi, I have performed facelifts for over 30 years and have performed many minimally, invasive type facelifts.  A temporal incision (temporal lift) is a new term for an old procedure designed to minimally lift the area in front of the temporal hairline (minimal, min lift).  It won't impact the SMAS or the jaw line.  Non smiling photos of your face from the front and side would help in the evaluation.

Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, women look the most feminine, youthful and attractive with heart shaped faces.  Heart shaped faces have cheeks that are full and round in the front.  Cheek augmentation with a dermal filler or using cheek implants for a permanent enhancement will create full, round cheeks that will feminize the entire face.

A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.   I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick and highly effective.

If you have "jowls” these are sagging facial tissues and an indication for some form of a SMAS facelift.  The underlying SMAS layer, of the face, must be dissected, lifted, trimmed and re-sutured (not merely folded or suspended with threads or sutures that will not last).  The excess skin is then removed and the facelift incisions closed. My most popular facelift is the minimally invasive, short incision facelift that has all the benefits of more invasive facelifts (traditional, mid-face, deep plane, cheek lift and subperiosteal facelifts) but with these added benefits:
  • very small incisions
  • minimal tissue dissection = less bruising and swelling = rapid recovery
  • can be performed in 90 minutes or less, with or without general anesthesia
  • no incisions within the hair = no hair loss
  • excess fat can be removed
  • excess skin removed
  • cheeks, chin and jaw line can be augmented with dermal fillers (I prefer Restylane Lyft) or facial implants
  • most patients fly back home to parts all over the world in as little as 3 days post-op
I combine facial shaping with every facelift procedure.  When jowls are present, these should be done in concert and not alone or separately in order to create a naturally, more attractive face.

Hope this helps.

Endoscopic Browlift with Mid-face Suspension

Dear blossomsinbloom,  In patients  who show some signs of aging in the upper third to half of the face I typically perform and endoscopic brow lift with mid-face suspension. This helps elevate the brows and open up the eyes with no tell tale signs of surgery. The small incisions are placed in the hairline and using an endoscope the facial tissues are undermined down to the malar region and lifted away from their attachments. The entire facial unit of skin, muscle and soft tissue is then lifted upward and laterally providing a very youthful and natural appearance. This provides a nice lift to the upper half of the face however would not effect the jawline. A lower facelift will address the neck and jawline area. Browlift with mid-face suspension is a very rewarding procedure that all of my female staff members have had performed due to it's high level of satisfaction with minimal downtime and discomfort. There are many examples in the link below and video above shows a patient who has had combination of brow and lower facelift.  Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD