Swelling and pain after lateral brow lift. Is it normal?

I had a lateral brow lift today obviously on both eyebrows, but I have significant more swelling and pain on one side, while I feel nothing on the other side. Is this normal?

Healing takes time

Hi Princess,

It takes approximately 6-8 weeks for the majority of swelling and edema to resolve after a brow lift procedure. The swelling and pain does not have to be divided equally between the two brows. Patients normally will take at least one week off of work and refrain from heavy lifting for at least 6 weeks. Pain is normally mild at the most. If you experience severe pain, it may be a bleeding or a post-operative hematoma.

Call your surgeon immediately if there is increased pain, visual changes occur to prevent permanent damage. Every operation, no matter how minor, is accompanied by swelling of the surrounding tissues, perhaps, even your eyes and checks. The swelling is usually greatest on the second or third day after your operation. We suggest that you keep your head elevated as much as possible. The swelling itself is normal and is not an indication that something is wrong with the healing phase of your operation.

Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Unilateral pain after lateral brow lift

It is not unusual to have pain and swelling after a brow lift, but you should contact your surgeon for reassurance or a quick follow-up exam since it is only one sided and the swelling is getting worse. A hematoma (collection of blood under the skin or scalp) is unlikely but it may be the cause of your problem.

Mario S. Yco, MD, FACS
Encinitas Facial Plastic Surgeon