How long will the results of a lateral brow lift last? How do I know if it's done properly?

If not all lateral brow lifts are done properly and are permanent (besides aging) How can I know what type of lateral brow lift was performed on me? It seemed like the plastic surgeon went pretty deep, he had double stitches, one which is deep set and will self disssolve and another more superficial set of stitches which he will remove later. I also heard him scraping the tool against the bone, I had only a local anaesthesia.

Lateral Brow Lift

Thank you for your question. It is perfectly understandable that you want to know if your brow lift was done properly and the final results you should expect. Since there are several techniques that can be used to perform a brow lift and the specific goals desired for each individual patient, it is best you discuss with your surgeon which technique they used on you. Your surgeon will also be able to help paint a picture of what their expectations of your lateral brow lift will be once healed.

Hope this helps!

Duration of Improvement after Lateral Brow Lift

There are many different techniques used to lift the lateral brows, each with their own success rate and duration of improvement. Only your surgeon can explain what was done and clarify reasonable expectaions.

Lateral brow lift technique

Only your surgeon can answer your question since there are many techniques that can be performed. It is important that the periosteum and the galea aponeurosis (two tissue layers holding the brow from being suspended) at the lateral orbital rim, as well as the temporal crest ligament are "released". In many cases, fixation of the lateral forehead tissue to bone is also required. The fact that it was done under local anesthesia or general anesthesia is not relevant.

Mario S. Yco, MD, FACS
Encinitas Facial Plastic Surgeon

How do I know what type of brow lift was performed?

This can only be known by your Plastic Surgeon.  I would simply ask him.  There are a variety of brow lifts that may benefit you, but this is a decision that you and your surgeon should discuss.

Ernest Robinson, MD
Aliso Viejo Facial Plastic Surgeon