Any additional ways to stimulate hair growth post FUE? (photo)

I had 1500 grafts at the end of July and my hair is growing, but only certain hairs. I was wondering when I will see hair growth in the areas between these seemingly dominant hairs? And what I can do to help? I have been using rogaine for a month now, with no result yet, as expected. Not sure if this matters, but I wear a hat, a lot. I know that I am probably jumping the gun, by asking this so early, but any comments will be very welcome. Best Regards.

Post op FUE transplant

1500 grafts is not a lot of hair unless your individual hairs are very thick. Although it is early to evaluate your result, you will likely need more work to get a cosmetic result. Also, it looks like you are continuing to lose your native hairs. All you can really do for the next 4-5 months is what you are are doing now. By then you will know the result of your transplant. A hat will do no harm.

San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Can you accelerate the growth of an FUE?

The answer is no. There is nothing you can do to accelerate it or even stop it. It will grow so wait out the 5-7 months until you see growth.

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

STIMULATION OF HAIR GROWTH FOLLOWING TRANSPLANTATION

I perform FUE almost exclusively in our center with great success. The key is primarily patience. Transplant results can manifest in up to 12-18 months. As part of the post-treatment protocol, many of my patients use minoxidil and/or finasteride. In addition, we offer to every patient low-level light therapy at 630 and 550 nm wavelengths to augment oxygenation of the tissues and scalp remodeling. Wearing a hat after the first few weeks should not impact results. Hang in there!

Jeffrey B. Wise, MD, FACS
Wayne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Stimulation of hair growth post transplantation

After a Hair Transplant treatment you’ll be able to see your new hair line immediately, but it will take a little while longer for you to reap the benefits of your final results. Everyone’s hair is different, meaning the exact process you’ll go through to see your results will vary massively from everyone else. Your hair will still grow at its normal rate so it’s crucial to remember that undergoing a transplant treatment will not change this and there’s no magic button to speed up the frustrating process. In this period you may support your new transplanted hairs by using Rogaien,Minoxidil and maybe Prp injections . ]All the best

Ilker Apaydin, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Hair growth after hair transplant

It takes between three months to up to 18 months for all the hair to grow in. Most of the hair starts to grow in between 9-12 months. At this point there is not much you can do but wait.

Michael Meshkin, MD
Newport Beach Hair Restoration Surgeon

Time

There isn't much you can do to stimulate hair growth.  It generally takes 6 to 12 months to see results.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Speeding up growth post hair transplant

Minoxidil (Rogaine) is the most effective in this regard. Other treatments can help but are less predictable and don't help everyone.

Patience is key with hair growth after a transplant

Any hair transplant patient must be willing to make a time commitment before realizing their dream of new hair growth. After a hair transplant, the new growth will generally begin in 3 to 4 months. By the end of 1 year, all the grafted follicles will be cycling normally through the growth process, and permanent hair growth will have resumed in all the transplanted areas. Wearing hats shouldn’t affect this.

Cory Torgerson, MD, PhD, FRCSC
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Patience after a hair transplant

You will usually see hair start to grow 4-6 months after hair transplantation. At 6-8 months 60% of the hairs will be growing. At 12 months 80-90% of the result will be visible. Full results can be expected at 18 months. The following have been proved to stimulate hair growth after transplantation:

• PRP (Platelet Rich Plasma) injections
  • Low level laser (Hairmax comb or similar)
  • Formula 82M (stronger than Rogaine)
  • Rogaine

Factors after a hair transplant like temporary shock loss to both grafts and existing hair; ways to reduce it and thicken hair

There are a lot of factors that affects the amount of growth a patient will have after hair transplant surgery. You are still very early in the course of your hair growth after the transplant. In my practice, even with a lot of advanced methods and hair regenerative technology that we employ, we still say that the full result is approximately one year after the transplant.

When hair is grafted, whether it’s a follicular unit extraction or strip method, it’s taking the whole hair including its root and placing it in another place - when this happens, shock loss occurs. Shock loss can be due to the impact of the swelling, trauma of actual surgery resulting in shedding of the part of the hair. The shedding of the hair can apply to both the grafts and the existing hair adjacent to them, and can result in an area looking barer than it was prior to the transplant. Fortunately, the root of the hair or the dermal papillae and the complex around is intact.

In our practice, one of our standard approaches of helping minimize that transition phase has been the use of Hair Regeneration technology which we developed. Hair Regeneration is the combination of the wound healing material extracellular matrix and platelet-rich plasma drawn from your own blood. With this advanced regeneration technology, the hair grafts tend to heal a little bit faster and the growth starts a little bit sooner. Not only are we protecting the existing hairs from the shock loss (telogen effluvium), but the hair also becomes thicker.

Hair transplant surgery is ultimately limited by the donor area in terms of the number of hairs you can place. It is also limited to the area that is being treated in terms of how fast the existing hair is going to thin out. So when we look at somebody for a hair transplant, we take all these into consideration and use Hair Regeneration to address these.

As far as your question is concerned, I think it’s very important that you speak with your doctor or speak with the staff at your doctor’s office. In our practice, we see our patients very frequently. Understanding that even though full hair growth will not occur to its fullest extend until about a year, it’s important that we see our patients every 3 months minimum and the door is very much open for them to come in within that time frame. We will also do microscopic examinations and see how things are progressing so that the patient understands that this is a natural process. Ultimately, the success of the surgery will be determined after approximately one year.

For now, I think it’s fine that you are using the minoxidil. There are some evidences that minoxidil topical will help synchronize the hair growth cycles. But you should understanding that throughout the process, there are hairs that will shed and hairs that will start to grow in until you reach that equilibrium somewhere at the one year point. I hope that was helpful, I wish you the best of luck, and thank you for your question.

Amiya Prasad, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon