How Many FUE Grafts Would I Need to Restore my Hairline? (PHOTO)

I lost the hair around my peaks in my early twenties (I'm thirty now), it hasn't worsened much since then. The miniaturized hairs have been like that for years. My hairline looks nearly identical to the hairline my grandfather had through most of his adult life, until he lost it all in his seventies. So, I suspect I should be able to keep what I have. However, I'd like to restore what I've lost. Approximately, how many FUE grafts would I need to do that? Thank you.

How Many FUE Grafts Would I Need to Restore my Hairline?

Thank you for posting your question and photos. Before the finding out how many grafts are needed, we must first find out the surface area that needs to be covered. Typically if the patient has complete hairless on the first zone, we typically use anywhere from 2000 to 2200 grafts. Now you just have to give and take to see what is already there, and what needs to be restored. Hope this helps.

Pasadena Hair Restoration Surgeon

How Many Hairline Grafts Do You Need?

It depends on whether you are lowering the hairline or just filling in the receding areas only. If it's the latter then it would be between 1200-1500 grafts

Hassan Nurein, MD
London Hair Restoration Surgeon

FUE Grafts Needed

It's hard to tell from the photos, however an average hairline in patients that have good density but some miniaturization of follicles is around 1,000-1,500 grafts.  This also depends on how much the angles have receded and how much they need to be corrected.  I would not consider lowering your hairline at all.  If you tried anything, possibly reinforcing your hairline in the area of the miniaturized follicles would be best in my opinion. However, you are young and my professional opinion would be to wait a few more years to see what happens to your hairline.

Amir Yazdan, MD
Irvine Hair Restoration Surgeon

To obtain alive hair follicles implanted in higher rates, the latest technique being used is not the only manner, it is also affected by compliance of implantation area that we found a better way to improve as a result of our researches, The Organic Hair Transplantation. By this new and unique Organic Hair Transplantation Technique, before the extraction and implantation processes; we regenerate the implantation area with injection of stem cell enriched fat tissue. Regeneration of cells in target area before FUE transplantation with the support of stromal stem cells results in higher rate of alive thicker hair follicles.

Organic Hair Transplantation is a surgical technique that moves individual hair follicles from a part of the body called “donor site” to bald or balding part of the body known as the “recipient site”. Grafts containing hair follicles that are obtained from genetically resistant to balding area transplanted to the bald scalp by latest minimally invasive technique. One of the most important reasons of the hair loss is the decreased quality of the scalp. Therefore to make the only transplantation would provide only a limited benefit without improving the quality of the scalp. In the “Organic Hair Transplantation”

Why should I have Organic Hair Transplantation?

Stem cells are one of the most popular topics in the science area and it is a well-known fact that the life was built on the shoulders of these cells. Stem cells are used in treatment of many diseases today. Aesthetic plastic surgery is another area that stem cells are used for their advantages. Stem cells are obtained from the own adipose tissue of the patient. It can be stated that stem cells transferred to another place in the body yields rejuvenating, refreshing and repairing effects on the tissue. “Organic Hair Transplantation” method uses the advantages of the stem cells at the maximum level.

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Number of grafts

Based on the photos, I would recommend a minimum of 1500 grafts.  The follicles must be blended into denser regions to combat further thinning.  I do not think you need over 2,000 grafts to accomplish this goal. However, I'd like to know your specific expectations to be sure we're on the same page.

Tim Neavin, MD

Estimating the number of grafts for hair transplant procedure

From looking at your pictures, you are a grade two on the Norwood scale of hair loss and you would benefit from hair transplant surgery. Since your hair is very full, it is necessary to dense pack to make it blend nicely with the existing hair. That being said, depending on where we place the hairline, you may need close to 1500 grafts. 

Michael Meshkin, MD
Newport Beach Hair Restoration Surgeon

An experienced doctor can give you an accurate estimate in person

Thanks for your inquiry. A consultation with an experienced doctor is the best way to get an accurate estimate and to determine the best option for you. An important factor to remember is to choose a reputable facility with a great safety record.

Cory Torgerson, MD, PhD, FRCSC
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Understand what you want and what you need

You need to first have an exam to make sure how extensive your hair loss may be. It doesn't matter if your grandfather never lost hair.  It is about what you have.   A doctor also needs to understand what you mean by "what you lost".  How much lower do you want the hair line?

FUE is just a method of harvesting grafts.  FUE is a great surgery but most people who want the FUE is mislead into thinking it is the best surgery.  

Many doctors push FUE or Neograft or ARTAS claiming "no scar" or "minimally invasive".
Many doctors dissuade patients from strip surgery asking "why would you want a big scar".

I was an engineer working with Dr. Rassman in 1998 (before I became a doctor) . My work involved a concept of a robot which would use a special optical sighting system to align the hairs for an automated FUE. This work became U.S. Patent 6572625 that we licensed to the ARTAS robot. Similar technology from our U.S. Patents are used in the NeoGraft. I perform FUE in my practice with my hybrid FUE instruments, ARTAS, or even NeoGraft. My point is that I am very familiar with the FUE, ARTAS, NeoGraft, and all forms of harvesting hair follicles.

Your focus of surgery should be on RESULTS. Not how a doctor takes out the grafts. From a donor scarring perspective, you keep your hair very LONG so scarring from both surgery should not be an issue. But you may STILL SEE the FUE scars at that length on some occasion. Thousands of white dots.

Just remember a 4000 graft FUE scar is like having a collective open wound hole the size of a baseball on the back of the head. There is nothing minimally invasive about that. I also perform Scalp MicroPigmentation (SMP) and fix horrible FUE scars routinely. These is nothing "scarless" about FUE.

I have performed surgery on Dr. Rassman and his family members using the strip technique. The linear scar on Dr. Rassman is a pencil thin line you probably will have a hard time finding. The point is, a strip surgery scar is not as terrible as the Internet makes it out to be.

Both FUE and Strip surgeries has its place. Don't be caught up in marketing and doctors who try to sell you one type surgery.

The focus should be on Results.
A bad hair transplant result from FUE or Strip is like Herpes. You'll carry it with you for life (with either thousands of dots or a line).

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Photo - How many grafts would I need

I happen to have a patient who looks just like you and had 1200 FUE grafts 10 days before this picture was taken (web reference below). He kept his hair long for the FUE as shown in the photo

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

It's important to stop further hair loss first, which is done non-surgically. As for # of grafts let's look at your donor area

In our practice, hair restoration and transplantation uses an average of 1500 to 2000 hairs in a session, which are dependent on the donor density or the number of hairs per square centimeter of strip. A certain number of hairs are also needed in follicular unit extractions or FEUs where individual hairs are removed by doing small punches on the scalp. Unfortunately for most men, progression of hair loss after transplantation is inevitable especially if they’re not using any medical therapy such as finasteride to reduce dihydrotestosterone (DHT).

Being a hair restoration specialist for over 10 years and being a leader in the field of regenerative medicine in hair restoration, I have actually quantified and developed a method of preventing the progression of hair loss as well as reversing the thinning of hair using a material called extracellular matrix (ECM). Extracellular matrix is material that contains progenitor cells that are absent in balding men. It signals the dermal papilla to begin the hair growth cycle. Extracellular matrix is injected along with platelet-rich plasma (PRP)which is taken from the blood. This combination reverses thinning hair.

In cases of balding and thinning hairs, I usually recommend the injections first before surgery. After a year, I assess how much hair has been salvaged by thickening through the injection, and see if the thickened hair give adequate coverage. From there, we decide the next step. I recommend that you learn more about hair regeneration so that you can restore a lot of those thinning hairs before you move forward to surgery. I hope that was helpful, and thank you for your question.

Amiya Prasad, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon