Seroma needs draining; can I do it myself?

I have had breast lift arm and thigh lift with existed tummy tuck in Budapest 10 days ago I have a lg seroma in my tummy and I can't get anyone to drain it for me I've been to dr and hospital and no one will help they say it will go on its own I know this is probably not the case so seriously considering buying the stuff and doing it myself

Tummy tuck - seroma

Thank you for asking about your mommy make-over.
  • I am so sorry you are having trouble getting help
  • This is not something you can manage yourself.
  • It is painful, you can introduce an infection and turn it into an abscess or you can even penetrate the abdominal organs - a real catastrophe.
  • Did you see your GP or did you see a plastic surgeon?
  • Most plastic surgeons are well aware that small seromas can absorb - large ones cannot.
  • If you saw a plastic surgeon, ask him to¬†order an ultrasound to determine the seroma's size and a second one in a week - if it hasn't gone down, he will be wiling to aspirate it.
  • If you saw a GP, they cannot understand your situation.¬†
  • In this case, you need to find a plastic surgeon who can help you -
  • You may need to make several calls to find one.
Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

Seroma following operations

It is not advisable for you to drain seromas yourself. This needs to be done under aseptic precautions otherwise you could end up with an infected seroma which would need a washout under general anaesthetic. Moreover, it would be very uncomfortable to do it yourself. Also, seromas tend to recollect and need to be drained at weekly intervals on a few occassions. It is very unfortunate that you have chosen to go to Budapest for your surgery as one of the most important aspects of surgery is the after care you recieve and you should be in a position to see your surgeon any time following the procedure.

Dear gemkim

Small seromas do go away on their own. If the doctor was a plastic surgeon and thought your seroma was small and would go away on its own, you should follow his advice. If you feel unsure, get a second opinion.

Afshin Parhiscar, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon