Pros and cons to using Juvederm Voluma in lips?

Hi guys I LOVE big massive fake lips and love a ducky pout, so rigid hard lips really will not be a problem for me. Just wondering if having juvederm voluma injected has any other cons aside from the obvious thick rigid look which is what I want??

Juvederm Voluma for Lips

Thank you for your question. Juvederm Voluma is not FDA approved for treatment in the lips. Because of its special properties for bulk volumization, many physicians (myself included) would shy away from using it in this location.  A well trained and experienced physician injector should be able to use any of the lip-approved fillers skillfully enough to achieve the same outcomes that you are looking for without having to do anything "off label".  I hope this answer helps you, and best of luck to you!

Hinsdale Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm Voluma for Lips

I would consider Juvederm Volbella for the lips.  It is a fabulous product like Voluma but made specifically for the lips! Please consult an expert in lip injections for the best cosmetic results.  Best, Dr. Green

Thanks for your question and as always we recommend that you consult with a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon to learn all of the treatment options for you.  We preach to our patients natural and we strive not to create what may not look normal to our patients.  While some may want big lips, which is fine, one needs to be realistic as well.  Voluma is not a filler that we would recommend in the lips – stick to what we do normally – Belotero, Restylane Silk, and Juvederm Ultra.  You still can have the lips you want, with fillers that we know will work well.

Michael Gold, MD
Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon

Voluma in lips

There is no real con with injecting Voluma into the lips other than it is harder to precisely place because of its thickness. It is more likely to show bumps because of this as well. I don't think it will last much longer than the other lip fillers.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Juvederm Voluma

Juvederm Voluma is not approved for use in the lips due to it's thickness.  If that is the route you want to go ensure you see a board certified plastic surgeon/dermatologist for safest results.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Thank you for sharing your question.  As you know Voluma is in the same family of fillers as Juvederm and Restylane and though not approved for lip augmentation it can be placed into the lips for a long-lasting augmentation effect.  The risks of placement are the same as other fillers but conservative, incremental placement is best to minimize the risk of contour irregularity.  Hope this helps.