New lines at corner of mouth after Juvederm (Photo)

Since having lip fillers I have two new vertical lines at the corners of my mouth (one on each side) inside my normal smile dimples. It has been one week since the procedure - is this still swelling or is this a side effect of having a slightly larger top lip? Pleased with overall effect except for this. It can be quite obvious in certain lights. Can it be corrected?

Hello. This is a common occurrence after lip fillers. It makes volume deficit in the white lip area become more apparent. The good news is that this is easily correctable with a touch of filler in the area. I love the lips though!

Thank you for your question. It is difficult to determine without seeing your before picture. The lines may have been there before and have just become more prominent with the filler. Typically is takes two weeks for all swelling to resolve. At this point, I would return to you injector to review your before and after photos and any corrections can be made to fill in this area.  

Lenore Sikorski, MD
Orange County Dermatologist

New lines after Juvederm

Thank you for your question alisonmmcewan. I am sorry to hear about your situation. Juvederm is a filler used to enhance the appearance of the face. It is difficult to assess results without being able to compare an after picture with a before picture. In our office we have our patients return two weeks after the treatment once swelling has subsided to take after photographs and assess the results. Sometimes when filler is injected an area that was not apparent becomes more obvious and concerning. In these cases more filler may be added. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations.  Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

Above lateral upper lip, new line after lip fillers

This is a common area of volume loss and needs to have filler placed there as well. It is a quick fix and can be done with either Restylane or Juvederm. The lip filler didn't actually cause this but made it more prominent. 

Steven F. Weiner, MD

New lines at corner of mouth after Juvederm

This isn't uncommon to happen.  It's an easy fix however and would require a small amount of juvederm in the line to add some volume.  Wait a full two weeks after your first treatment to ensure all the swelling has subsided.

Martin Jugenburg, MD