Is motiva brand implants the best to prevent capsular contracture from re-occurring?

I have encapsulated breast and want to change the implant. There is a medication called singulair which apparently you take before and after to prevent capsulation happening again. Is this true?

Implant type and capsular contracture

Hi, thanks for our question. The brand of implant does not increase or decrease the possibility of a capsular contracture. 

Kennewick Plastic Surgeon

BBA

The brand of implant makes very little difference if any. Singular is thought to be helpful but the evidence is weak at best. 

The foregoing information provided is not intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, it is provided for educational purposes only.
You assume full responsibility for how you choose to use this information.
Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified healthcare provider before starting any new treatment or discontinuing an existing treatment. Talk with your healthcare provider about any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

Singulair

Singulair,a drug used for asthma has been shown in certain circumstances to alleviate establish capsular contracture. There are no direct studies that I know of using it prophylactically. For established contracture, a site change, usually to submuscular position with the addition of in an ADMDM ike Strattice has been helpful in my practice in mitigating against a recurrent capsular contracture. I recommend you see a board-certified plastic surgeon in your area to discuss these options. Good luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Evidence

Hi. There is no good evidence that Singulair will help.  Similarly acellular dermal matrices are believed to help but the data is scarce to find.  Polyurethane coated implants (and saline) definitely have a lower capsular contracture rate in primary augmentation and polys are believed to be helpful once there is a capsule but once again there is little data on this.  Regards

How to prevent capsular contracture?

There is no way to completely prevent capsular contracture but certain steps can help decrease the risk. Changing the pocket/location and using acellular dermis will definitely help. Implant brand doesn't make a difference and singulair may or may not help. Best to see a board certified plastic surgeon who can explain the best treatment options for you!

Capsular Contracture

I do not believe the brand of implant will make any difference in capsular contracture.  Singular is believed to help prevent capular contractures, but it is not approved for that.  Placement of strattice is the best chance of resolving the problem.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Capsular contracture

Singulair is believed to help in cases of capsular contracture.  I don't believe the brand of implant will make a difference.  I have used acellular dermal matrix, such as Strattice, after removing the contracted capsule around the implants and this has the best chance of resolving contracture, in my opinion.

Shim Ching, MD
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon