Fordyce spots after Juvederm. Are they permanent?

Recently got 0.5ml Juvaderm injected into my lips. However I have realised that I have Fordyce spots on my upper lip. The doctor who injected me has assured me that I had these spots prior, however they were sitting more under and the Juvaderm has made the spots more pronounced. I would like to know will the fordyce spots return to their original position after the juvaderm has been broken down by my body, or is the prominence of these spots permanent?

Thanks for your question and your provider is correct.  Fordyce Spots are on everyone’s lips and on occasion, with fillers, they can become more pronounced.  Lip moisturizers can minimize their appearance and they will revert to their previous “look” once the filler takes form over time and when the filler is not there, you will not really notice them again.

Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon

Fordyce spots becoming obvious after lip fillers

Lip fillers can every the lips.  Fordyce spots are relatively common visible glands on the lips.  In patients with non-visible fordyce spots, it is possible that treatment with lip fillers will evert the lip and make the spots visible.  As the filler fades, the spots should return to their normal position.  Best of luck.

Kyle Coleman, MD
New Orleans Dermatologic Surgeon

Forcyce spots and Juvederm

Thanks for your question. Fordyce spots are very common and represent oil/sebaceous glands that settled in the wrong place (lips as opposed to the skin).  They are harmless, and you undoubtedly had them even before your Juvederm treatment. Juvederm is a hyaluronic acid filler and cannot create Fordyce spots.  Best of luck to you!

Alix J. Charles, MD
Hinsdale Dermatologic Surgeon

Fordyce spots from injection?

These were there prior without a doubt. They might be more noticeable after injection and when the injection subsides, they will be in their original position.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Fordyce spots and Lip Contours.

Lip fillers - such as Juvederm, which is hyaluronic acid based are not permanent, and the original shape of your lips will be preserved. Fordyce spots are very common, and I find with good emollients and lip ointments used daily that over time the appearance of these can be minimized. If they are not improving with these methods lasers and other treatments can be performed to minimize the appearance. Best, Dr. P.

Kaleroy Papantoniou, MD, FAAD
Great Neck Dermatologic Surgeon

Fordyce spots

Yes your fordyce spots were there before Juvederm and sometimes Juvederm in the lips can make them more prominent.  Once the Juvederm breaks down they shouldn't be as noticeable.

Martin Jugenburg, MD