I'm extremely confused. Dermapen or infini for acne scars? (Photos)

So I've been recommended infini as a great treatment for rolling type tethered acne scars, but I've recently had a consultation with a aesthetic nurse practioner as well who's told me the dermapen is the better option than infini. Now I am more confused than ever. I'm sorry for asking so many questions thank you for your help

Infini microneedling has radiofrequency and dermapen does not but both can help acne scars

As far as I'm aware we don't have studies comparing dermapen microneedling to Infini microneedling that also uses radiofrequency energy injected via the needles to heat the dermis and stimulate collagen formation thereby smoothening, not erasing, acne scars, fine lines, sundamaged skin texture, upper lip smoker's lines and facial wrinkles. Clinically many providers are happy they tell me with microneedling. Infini delivers a double pronged attack on the acne scars. It protects the epidermis via insulation of the needles and only the tips of the needles in the dermis below the skin where the acne scars lie, receive the radiofrequency energy and heat. One would think that this will give us better results but clinicians need more time to see what results are obtained a year or more after the treatment is completed. 

The information provided in Dr. Shelton's answer is for educational purposes only and is not intended to constitute medical advice.  The information provided should not be relied upon as a substitute for consultations with a qualified health professional who may be familiar with your individual medical needs. 

Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

Infini

Thank you for your question and photos. Infini does a great job with acne scars. In my practice we use Infini to address several skin concerns because we feel it achieves great results. The results can be seen immediately after the completion of the treatment. However, the rebuilding of collagen in your body can take weeks to months. For optimal results, it can take 2 to 3 treatments and full results can take anywhere from 4 to 6 months once the new collagen growth is complete. Results will vary per individual.Hope this helps,Dr. Newall 

German Newall, MD

INFINI by FAR for acne scars

I firmly belive INFINI RF is far, far, far superior to Dermapen. Why, because of the depth of penetration but most importantly and I stress, the INSULATION of the needles to deliver RF energy to break collagen and remodel collagen. Denaturation occurs at around 64-67 degrees celsius, and hence energy in the way of laser, or RF is needed. I personally have moved most of my CO2 Fractional laser patients to INFINI RF, and combine this with PRP in an 'over and under' technique. See a Board Certified specialists for your scar treatments, all the best, Dr Davin Lim. Brisbane. Australia. 

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

Acne Scarring -- Lasers (Fraxel, Co2/Erbium, VIVA, Intensif); Microneedling/PRP, Fillers (Bellafill); Subcision; Punch Excision

Acne scars are difficult to treat and require a combination approach. Microneedling with PRP is more intensive than a Dermipen. Please see an expert to be thoroughly evaluated for a treatment plan. Best, Dr. Emer 

Dermapen vs. Infini

Thank you for the question and your photos. Acne scarring is a very challenging problem and requires multiple different approaches in most patients. This includes medical grade skin care as well as more active treatments like microneedling, lasers, or Infini. In my practice, I use Infini as well as ablative (CO2) and non-ablative (Erbium) lasers. For shallow scars, you can see improvement from any of these. Dermapen is nice because the downtime is very minimal. Infini is sort of like microneedling "on steroids" -- the addition of the RF energy delivered through the needles makes the treatment more aggressive and more effective. However, there are trade-offs: the downtime is a bit longer (generally a day or two). In summary, your scars appear mild to moderate. You have options. Now you just need to find a provider that you trust and that you can work with over a period of months. Best of luck and take care!

Evan Ransom, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Infini vs Dermapen: ENGLEWOOD CLIFFS nj

In my opinion, rolling scars respond better to Infini. When one has very superficial scarring, I do believe that multiple sessions with microneedling or lasers give Superior results.

Jeffrey Rapaport, MD
Englewood Dermatologic Surgeon

Infini vs Dermapen for acne scars - Infini

This isn't even close. I would say that one Infini is equal to about 8-10 treatments with the Dermapen. The dermapen can't go as deep and doesn't have the energy (RF) associated with it. There is coagulation which is the key driver of collagen formation and remodeling using the Infini. Clearly this person lacks understanding of the technology and/or doesn't have it available so it isn't an option at their facility. Our charge for Infini is 10x what it is for dermapen. There is a growing consensus that Infini is the best device for acne scars.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Infini vs dermapen for acne scars

I find that docs and staff often speak poorly or offer bad advice on subjects they are just not familiar with. In truth I know of no head to head or split face studies of lutronic infini (rf needles) vs dermapen (or straight microneedling). However, infini is microneedles with the addition of radiofrequency energy at the tip. I view the device as microneedles on steroids! We have been using infini for a few years now and it is our go to device for acne scars

Jason Pozner, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon