Breast Implant surgery next week and got a cold and sore throat. Help!

Help I have surgery a week today and I no im coming down with somthing. All 3 of my children have coughs and colds. And I can feel my chest is sore and getting a cough. Help I don't want to wait for another surgery date. Been waiting months for this. I am really scared as it is. Just want it all over but this cold won't help if it delays surgery?

Cold

Cough, cold, sneezing usually equates to delayed surgery both from a safety and comfort point of view. I would not want to be coughing with fresh surgery on my chest, or develop a problem that requires antibiotics and have infection spread to the implants. Better safe then sorry.

Weston Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implant surgery next week and got a cold and sore throat.

Thank you for your question. Best to consult your surgeon for best information.

Breast augmentation” operation is performed under general anesthesia and it takes to perform the procedure nearly 1 to 1.5 hours when it is performed by a team of plastic surgeons. It is really important to decrease the operation duration to give less anesthesia to the patient yielding a better postoperative period to the patient. You will be advised not to eat 6 hours before the surgery and that is all! You will get a physical examination by your surgeon and anesthetist. After the examination; we will prepare you for the surgery. You will receive a sedation in order to reduce the preoperative anxiety and fell yourself more comfortable.

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Contact your surgeon regarding your condition.  Also, I would recommend a visit with my primary care physician, too.  It may be in your best interest to postpone the surgery until you are feeling better.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Cold before surgery

In general, the anesthesiologist and surgeon will decide what is best. Mild colds are usually not a contraindication, but fever, heavy coughing are causes for possible cancellation.  Do everything your general practitioner recommends for the cold and hang in there!

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Cold!

Breast augmentation is elective surgery, so it can always wait until you are better, than to run any risks. Colds can pass quickly, but you should contact your surgeon to discuss it with them.

Anthony Barabas, MBBS
Cambridge Plastic Surgeon

Check with your pastic surgeon

You need to informyour surgeon you have a cold he will probabaly order a more vealuaion to know if it is safe t get surgery but an elective surgery like this can wait in order you are healthy and get the best results so if your evaluation determine that you can not get surgery you need to wait and reschedule. Good Luck!

Australia Fragoso-Baez, MD

Surgery with a cold

In my opinion, elective cosmetic surgery, especially when placing a foreign body such as a breast implant, should not be done at a time when the patient is immuno suppressed such as having a viral syndrome like a cold. Also, anesthesiologists will be hesitant to put you to sleep with any type of general anesthesia with an acute upper respiratory tract infection. Better wait until you're healthy. Best of luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Breast implants surgery next week and I have a cold and sore throat

You should alert your surgeon and be checked by your family doctor. Oftentimes in my practice patients will be started immediately on antibiotics and then re-evaluated by the anesthesia team prior to surgery to determine whether or not it is safe to proceed with surgery. I wish you and your children a speedy recovery. For more information on this and similar topics, I recommend a plastic surgery Q&A book like "The Scoop On Breasts: A Plastic Surgeon Busts the Myths."

Ted Eisenberg, DO, FACOS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon