Will 500cc implants under the muscle look small?

I am 5'9 weigh about 180 pounds. I'm having surgery in one week and the doctor suggested I do 600 cc. I thought that was a bit too big so I decided 500 cc. Under the muscle. Will my boobs look big or no? I'm currently a b cup

Too big....

500cc implants are big....We need photos of what your chest looks like and need to know what size you want to be so we can best help you. Please review the before/after photos of the doctor you are working with to make sure you like their work and find photos of patients that look like you with 500cc or 600cc implants to see if you like how they look.  Andre Aboolian, Plastic Surgeon, Beverly Hills, andreaboolian.com

With your height and weight

you can easily accommodate larger implants and the easiest way to visualize this is to use external sizers.  So a sizer in your unlined bra 450 cc in size would simulate what you are desiring with the 500 cc implant as I always add 10% to my implants from whatever sizer my patients like.  And a 550 cc sizer will give you the look of the 600 cc implant.  See what works on your frame and choose what is best for you.  I would speculate you would be better with the 600 cc size.

Curtis Wong, MD

500 cc

It all depends on your frame size, how wide your shoulders/waist/ is. 500cc will bring your bra size up by another cup and a half. So a full C/ small D. 

Arian Mowlavi, MD, FACS

It Depends!

Just as beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so is the concept of "large." I would suggest that you visit your plastic surgeon and have him/her try sizers in a bra and that you slip a top on and look in the mirror. Decide what size of implant works for you. 

You might also find photos that demonstrate your appearance goal and that your plastic surgeon could have in the OR to help him/her during the procedure. Alternatively, breast imaging may help you decide on implant size.

With all of that said, sometimes what can be done in surgery is not what one hopes for, so a degree of flexibility on your part helps to avoid disappointment.

Best of success!

George Sanders, MD

Choosing a Breast Implant size

Thanks for your question- your height and weight are helpful, but not enough information to get you a reliable answer.  Sizing for breast implants is a complex issue and helping patients figure out the right size is one of the aspects of  plastic surgery that requires expertise on the part of the surgeon.  Many surgeons do things differently, and so it's hard to give an opinion about your surgeon's advice.  Largely it also depends on how you want to look- athletic?  proportionate? full-breasted?

You should seek out a surgeon who's before and after photos look like you you want to look, and then get a consultation that provides you with a comfortable plan.   For example, with my patients I don't make women choose an implant size at all.  I have them use sizers and a bra to show me how they want to look, and I use intra-operative sizers during the procedure to see how various implant volumes and shapes appear in order to achieve their postoperative goals.  That way there is not a lot of uncertainty by the patient regarding which implant size they have chosen.  They rely on me to get them the look that they want based on my techniques and attention to their wishes.  I tend to get it right :)

My way is no better or worse than other successful surgeons, it's just how I do things.  Some surgeons use 3D imaging, other surgeons go only based on measurements.  With my sizing and operative techniques I end up basically never doing revisions for size (rarely at all for anything), and it works for me.  A good, experienced surgeon with a low revision rate, good before and after photos, and a great reputation should provide you with a consultation and a plan that you are comfortable with.

Dr. L

Adam David Lowenstein, MD, FACS
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implant Sizing

I always have a concern when the surgeon recommends very large implants, regardless of your size. Make sure you visit a few ABPS certified/ASAPS member surgeons that specialize in ALL forms of breast surgery, not just implants. Best of luck! Instagram: @drgeraldminniti

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Breast implant sizes.

The ideal Implant size cannot be determined by height and weight alone. It is best to have an in-office evaluation so that careful measurements can be taken to determine the best size implant for your chest diameter, several upper body measurements, and current breast tissue. Once you have the measurements, they are all put together to determine the right implant from the right manufacturer. Breast implants of the same cc's can look and feel extremely different depending on the profile and material. That being said, implants in the 500-600 range are considered large to very large in most patients. Hope this helps!

Johnson C. Lee, MD Plastic Surgery

Johnson C. Lee, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

3-d simulation

I routinely perform a 3-d simulation for all of my breast augmentation patients in order to properly assess and size each patient so they are ultimately happy with their final size and profile. 

Payman Danielpour, MD, FACS

Too small?

I can't imagine 500 cc implants ever being too small unless you play for the WNBA.  That size should be plenty big.  Enjoy your new boobs!! DSR

David S. Rosenberg, MD

Implant selection

Hello and thank you for your question.  The best advice you can receive is from an in-person consultation.  500 and 600cc implants are large implants.  Pictures would be very helpful in making this decision.  The size, profile, and shape of the implant is based on your desired breast size/shape, your chest wall measurements, and soft tissue quality.  This decision should be based on a detailed discussion with equal input from both you and your surgeon.   

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD