I had Vaser Lipo on my upper arms which weren't overly large. I just wanted a more toned appearance, poor results (Photo)

Hi I had vaser lipo on my upper arms which in all fairness weren't overly large I just wanted a more toned appearance however the results are far from that and have left me embarrassed to expose my arms in public now . please could you advise me what I can do to get this rectified please it's been 5 months since the procedure thanks

Botched Arm Liposuction?

So sorry that you're having to deal with this issue. It must be very frustrating to feel self-conscious of your arms and to feel limited with your wardrobe. Yes, it does appear to be a poor liposuction result. I know you want to get this looking better as soon as possible, but it may be best to wait around 9 to 12 months for the scarring to soften. Otherwise, going back too early will result in liposuctioning a concrete mess and not extracting very much fat if more liposuction is needed. In your case, it may also be necessary to use a special cannula to break up the scar tissue and to mobilize the fat  in the area in order to move it into areas where there are indentations or craters. An in-person evaluation is needed to give you the best personalized advice. Make sure you go to a plastic surgeon who is skilled in revision liposuction, particularly of the arms, as the arms can be a bit tricky as they are cylindrical and not flat. Best of luck to you.

Sacramento Physician

VASER Hi Definition Liposuction / Body Contouring with Fat Grafting -- HI DEFINITION REVISION

VASER Hi Definition Liposuction is a very meticulous procedure and when treating the arms, this should be performed by an expert. You can try external devices like sculpsure/ultrashape/venus legacy/vanquish for improvement but nothing will get you closer to optimal results without a surgical intervention by a revision expert. Best, Dr. Emer

I had Vaser Lipo on my upper arms which weren't overly large. I just wanted a more toned appearance, poor results

Thank you for the question and photo. I agree with you, this is a very poor result done by someone who has limited knowledge of the basic procedure. Now add a powerful tool like VASER into the hands of a poorly trained surgeon, the results are not surprising. It is not the tool that created the problem, but the surgeon's poor understanding of the basic technique and underlying anatomy. These are very difficult to correct and suggest that you seek a second opinion and not go back to your first surgeon. I usually recommend patients that they go back to the original surgeon to attempt correction, but in this case with these results, it might be a mistake.

Correcting badly performed liposuction

Unfortunately bad results from poorly performs liposuction is difficult and often not possible to correct. The two general options are revision liposuction with or without fat transfer. Patients who have been excessively treated or particularly difficult to correct. You may want to start by following up with your provider and ask him or her to address your concerns. If needed you could move forward and have a second opinion to see if there's potential room for improvement with some form of revision. Best, Mats Hagstrom M.D.

Mats Hagstrom, MD