How long should i wait before going back to skydiving after a breast reduction?

I am 5 weeks post op now, and healing very well. But i am keen to get my self back in the sky. My doctor did say 6 weeks, but i was just wondering if any other doctors have a different opinion. I don't want to cause any unnecessary set backs to my healing process.

Breast reduction - when can I sky dive?

Thank you for asking about your breast reduction.

From a healing point of view, definitely no earlier than 6 weeks.
But no doctor will support your sky diving - fun as it is, it is very dangerous.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Skydiving after BR

I would consider 6 weeks to be the minimum and would probably advise 8 weeks. This assumes that all the healing has gone well and the breasts are comfortable.Obviously you should be off any medication / painkillers that could affect your judgement before resuming skydiving. (It would be unusual to still be on medication at 6 weeks and if you were there would probably be other reasons for not skydiving i.e. not fully healed).Primarily you should follow the advice of the surgeon who carried out your surgery.

Jeremy S. Hurren, BSc, MBBS, FRCS (Plast)
Chichester Plastic Surgeon

Skydiving after Breast Reduction #breastreduction

• You should be just fine skydiving 6 weeks after  a breast reduction if you didn't have any post-operative healing complications. 

Skydiving after breast reduction

Your doctor is right and I would not do anything strenuous for six weeks if you want to be safe.  I would listen you what you body tells you.   If you are doing too much, you should back off your activities for a week or two.

John D. Smoot, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Why the resistance to follow YOUR surgeon's advice?

Asking questions so you can find other opinions is self-serving in  my opinion as you are only looking for someone to back up your desires to resume activities sooner.  Why the resistance to following your surgeon's advice?  If you resume skydiving before 6 weeks, you are doing it at your own risk of some problem arises from it.  And if its topless skydiving, even longer because its amazing what distortion you get from the wind.

Curtis Wong, MD

Resumimg activities after breast reduction

I tell my patients that they can resume normal activities 6 weeks after a breast reduction- at that time the tissues have regained 70% of the final strength and are strong enough to withstand most forces.  But most patients tend to wait 6 months to get a mammogram because the breasts may still be a little tender.  A parachute popping open may be a lot of force and you may feel more comfortable waiting longer.  But the incisions should usually be strong enough by 6 weeks.

Jonathan Hall, MD