Can I have liposuction/or similar after a spinal cord implant device? (Photo)

The spinal cord stimulator implant battery is located in the top of my left buttock .Could i have lipo still on my bottom and thighs? None seems to know about the device (nor care) I wondered if the suction/needles are very precise or would it need to be all over the bottom, or does it depend on the fatty areas? The battery is near the surface so could not go too near that.

Liposuction and medical implants

There are no clear-cut guidelines for how doctors should proceed with liposuction around medical implants. If a liposuction cannula hits the implant, tube or wire that's attached to it it could damage it leaving it damaged. The implant can also potentially be contaminated with bacteria during the procedure though this is fairly unlikely. If you find a plastic surgeon willing to do liposuction in the area or your implant is he or she should probably discuss this issue with the Doctor Who placed the implant. Some plastic surgeons will not do liposuction adjacent to medical implants. I personally have done liposuction over implants like lap band ports but when having done so the liposuction is been selective and limited. Best, Mats Hagstrom M.D.

Liposuction with spinal cord implant device

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.It truly depends on the opinion of the surgeon who implanted the device and the purpose of the implant. Ask the surgeon who placed this, if s/he can clear you for liposuction surgery and be sure the plastic surgeon and the neurosurgeon talk about the implant before liposuction is done. Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Medical Implants and Liposuction

While there is no absolute contraindication to liposuction in the setting of an implanted medical device, patients should make a point of keeping their physicians well informed. There is an inherent risk in performing invasive procedures in the vicinity of an implanted medical device (infection, damage to the implant etc.). However, a well informed physician can take precautions when operating in these areas. They may also contact the implanting physician for further insight in developing an operative strategy.As always, discuss your concerns with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Donovan Rosas, MD
Westchester Plastic Surgeon

Can I have liposuction/or similar after a spinal cord implant device?

It's a good question and the answer is probably yes. However, each surgeon will have their own comfort level with operating around the battery. It will most likely want you to obtain clearance from your neurosurgeon or pain med specialist prior to proceeding with any surgery. See board-certified plastic surgeons to hear their opinion.

Nerve Stimulator

As long as you stay away from where the device and wires are, it should really be much of a problem. I certainly would avoid any procedures that are within the vicinity and may cause an increased risk of getting an infection of the device. See a board certified plastic surgeon in consultation. Good luck!

Jeffrey Gusenoff, MD
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction after spinal cord implant device?

Thank you for your question. I don't believe that the device would be an absolute contraindication for the procedure as long as liposuction is performed away from the area. It is very important that your surgeon is well-informed about the nature & location of the device. It would also be advantageous for your plastic surgeon to coordinate any operative procedure with your implant surgeon as well.

Michael F. Bohley, MD