When can I swim in an outdoor pool and go to the beach after liposuction?

Swimming after liposuction

You should really ask this question to your surgeon since we all have slightly different post operative instruction and it also depends on how your incisions are healing. I would say that most of the times after two weeks post-op  if your incisions are completely healed you can go into the pool or beach.

Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction - when to swim?

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.
  • Your own surgeon has to be your guide -
  • For my patients, it depends on the pool and the beach.
  • If it is a private, well-maintained pool - swimming is fine after a week.
  • If it is a public pool - not for a month.
  • If it is a popular beach - lots of people, children, dogs - not for a month.
  • If it is a private beach or clean and has few people - 1-2 weeks.
  • Why? Public beaches and pools have very very high bacterial counts. Private ones are not so bad.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Submerging wounds after surgery

This is largely dependent on how your incisions have healed. Most wounds can be submerged by 2 weeks post-op, but again every patient is different. Asking your surgeon would be your best resource.

Liposuction, body Contouring, swimming in outdoor pool or beach, post operative rest period

Thank you for your query. There are two aspects that need to be addressed here- have the wounds all healed? and is it safe enough to start some exercises and normal activity?I would usually advice mild exercises and activities that don't disturb the operated area  after all the operated wounds  have healed and after about 4 to 6 weeks while heavy exercises and normal activity can be carried out after 12 weeks. You wouldn't want to disturb an operated area with activity that would cause further swelling or bleeding.However each patient and his surgery is unique and therefore the operating surgeon is the person to decide on the post operative rest period and rehabilitation programs.Best wishes,Dr Alexander+

Alexander George, MCh
India Plastic Surgeon

Swimming/Pools After Liposuction

I make my patient wait 4 weeks after an aggressive 4D contouring treatment to go in a pool or hot tub.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Liposuction/ Liposculpture/ Fat Transfer/ Vaser/ Hi Definition Procedures/Liposuction Revision/Tummy Tuck/Body Contouring

I appreciate your question. I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you will be healing following surgery. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon