Is it possible to get only a quarter of a Juvederm syringe injected in my lips? (Photo)

I want a subtle and natural effect and worried when seeing the over inflated looking lips. I want to make my small lips slightly plumper (kind of what they look like when you first wake up in the morning). Would a quarter of a syringe of juvederm be ok?

Juvederm or Restylane for Lips

For a more subtle enhancement, I would consider Restylane instead of Juvederm.  Both work well for the lips but Juvederm tends to cause more swelling than Restylane.  The most important thing is to see a conservative injector and explain your expectations and concerns. 

Lone Tree Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm for lips

You should have treatment with an experienced injector and discuss the amount of lip enhancement you would like.  Your upper and lower lips must be balanced and will require more than 1/4 syringe of Juvederm.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Is it possible to get only a quarter of a Juvederm syringe injected in my lips?

Hello Rhiannonxxx,

It is perfectly acceptable (and in my opinion usually the better option) to not inject the entire syringe into the lips.  It is great to be conservative and then if you need a touch up, you can come back for that.  It is much easier to add a little more at a later time than to inject the enzyme to remove the product from an overdone lip and start over.  As far as the total volume, don't limit your injector with a set amount.  Rather, indicate what your goal is and inject to that point.  This may mean you get slightly more than a quarter of a syringe while still avoiding a "done" look.  

I hope this helps and good luck.  

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

1/4 syringe of filler for lips

You can put as little or as much filler as you want, although its always worth seeking an expert's opinion on realistic expectations & optimal results. A 1/4 syringe in the middle of the upper lip only would be sufficient, but if you want the lateral parts of the upper lip treated or the bottom lip etc., you'd likely need more (though I never do more than 1 syringe for the lips to start).

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Light on the Lips

Yes, it is perfectly acceptable to ask for less than a full syringe of Juvederm for your lips.  However, you would have to pay for a full syringe still, the syringes are not divisible among patients.  There are typically other places on the face the remainder of the syringe can be used so it isn't wasted.

Marla M. Klein, MD
Lake Oswego Dermatologic Surgeon

1/4 of a syringe is too little

Small amount of filler can make small differences.  However, in the lips 1/4 of a syringe would likely make no visible impact what so ever unless it were only placed in the philtrum or cupid's bow area.  Even with a single syringe of filler in the lips, patients often desire more volume.  Putting less volume than necessary usually leads to dissatisfaction, and small amounts of filler tend to disappear more rapidly.

Kyle Coleman, MD
New Orleans Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm and Lips

Juvederm works extremely well for the lips.  However, a quarter of a syringe will barely have any effect on your lips and I expect you will need more filler to be happy with the results.  Best, Dr.Green

Juvederm for the lips - 1/4 or 1/2 syringe?

You can have as much of the syringe as you want but most doctors will charge you for the entire syringe as they are meant to be used and the rest tossed away.

I believe at least 1/2 a syringe will properly volumize your upper and lower lip in a natural way.

Dr Karamanoukian